What's new

Investment in .nz

ttfan

Top Contributor
What do you think the prospect are for the .nz domain market?
Obviously the market is a lot smaller than ours, but on the flip-side there's a lot more domain still available,

Shane

Top Contributor
I don't know about NZ domains on their own, but there's certainly money in development thanks to the lack of competition relative to the Australian market.

I had two lead generation websites in NZ bringing in a few grand a month which I sold for mid 5-figures earlier this year. Both domains were hand reg...

findtim

Top Contributor
i'm not a fan, i think i own 3-4 .co.nz of which i own the .com.au, and i never bothered going and getting the .nz ( yet ? )
my interest also went down when the .nz came in.
+ its a tiny market of consumers to warrant a good resale on an undeveloped domain, shane got it right by ( assumption) using what he had working in australia, finding that domain as a hand reg or similar in meaning, build and flip. certainly the recipe i would use investing time into nz.
also on that note about words and meanings, i'l duplicating a website for an aussie into a .com for expansion into the usa, there has been a lot of time spent on finding out the correct terms and words they use for his products, different words depending on the state you are in eg : boot, trunk . tap , forcet.

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
shane got it right by ( assumption) using what he had working in australia, finding that domain as a hand reg or similar in meaning, build and flip. certainly the recipe i would use investing time into nz.

Your assumption is very accurate Tim! The sites were more or less direct copies of the Australian versions, and I never had any issues with duplicate content. The NZ sites actually ranked better than my AU versions thanks to the lack of competitors over there.

I've tried the same strategy in the UK, but the competition over there is crazy (mainly in terms of SEO, but also getting the domains in the first place) and my sites gained no traction at all.

What do you think the prospect are for the .nz domain market?
Obviously the market is a lot smaller than ours, but on the flip-side there's a lot more domain still available,
I wouldn't waste your money on .nz. The market is small and the prospects and rewards on resale are poor. Check out expireddomains.nz and you will see that even premier domains go for no more than a few hundred.
Having said that I have about 3 .nz which relate to my business, which I intend to develop to attract some NZ work. In terms of investment, I would stick to .com and .au. My tip is buy quality over quantity, it is best to have 2 great names rather than 100 rubbish domains.

atom

Administrator
I agree that there doesn't seem to be much potential in .nz from an investment perspective. I too only have a few for business reasons.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I wouldn't waste your money on .nz. The market is small and the prospects and rewards on resale are poor. Check out expireddomains.nz and you will see that even premier domains go for no more than a few hundred.
Having said that I have about 3 .nz which relate to my business, which I intend to develop to attract some NZ work. In terms of investment, I would stick to .com and .au. My tip is buy quality over quantity, it is best to have 2 great names rather than 100 rubbish domains.
I remember someone saying the same thing to me about .com.au domains around 2002/3. .NZ might just be an opportunity as .com.au appears to have been when I look back now!

I remember someone saying the same thing to me about .com.au domains around 2002/3. .NZ might just be an opportunity as .com.au appears to have been when I look back now!
Horshack you might be right mate and I may be eating my words in years to come, but NZ is a small market, it is the size of one Australian state. I just cant see the demand being there, unlike Australia where demand is strong.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo