What's new

Internet/Smart Television

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I am wondering if anyone here is the owner of a 'smart tv' and if so what is it like ??

Are you browsing internet 'channels'

......happy new years

:rolleyes:

payattention

Archived Member
Most TV's have had this ability for a while but the use has been sluggish and the user experience sucks (I tried showing my old man how to use it but it's just too different to normal TV).

I can't remember where I read it but Youtube will soon be launching dedicated channels with their top partners so my guess is it will bring it more inline with traditional TV and might give cable companies a real run for their money.

Not something I'd use but will probably be a huge success for Youtube and the popular content creators such as Shane, RWJ etc.

dave

I've watched a bit of youTube on my Sony which has been pretty good but I must say that the user experience is pretty clunky.

It's definitely the way things are heading

acheeva

Top Contributor
My wife and kids went off the idea of a smart TV when I told them I could use it to check my emails during the ad breaks@!

nina

Top Contributor
My wife and kids went off the idea of a smart TV when I told them I could use it to check my emails during the ad breaks@!

Thats quite funny!

My husband was asking me about Internet Television the other day because we are looking at some nas boxes and some of them have media centres, and then some dedicated media devices connect to third party solutions to subscribe to series and programs.

There are so many products and so many fine details to go through. I wonder if Smart TV will have the same appeal as 3D ? Does anyone actually watch 3D TV?

Anyway- I'm looking at getting 2 storage devices - one for work, the other for media and might look at a device that allows me to utilise my Android more - like this unit -

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/43312-acr-ve91200

Scorptec had a nice range of products to look at - but the more I looked, the more I realised how much things have changed when it comes to picking a humble tv..

Nina

James

Top Contributor
Tv I have has internet channels hooked up and built in Youtube, it is pretty cool when their is nothing on free to air, you just punch in the keywords to watch shows from the US.

I am wondering if anyone here is the owner of a 'smart tv' and if so what is it like ??

Are you browsing internet 'channels'

......happy new years

:rolleyes:

I have a Samsung Smart TV and love it. In particular I like having Skype on the TV, so I can have a video call with friends around the world from the comfort of my couch :)

There are a truck load of applications. I am happy to recommend the Samsung Smart TVs. I have also heard great things about the Sony Smart TVs

johno69

Top Contributor
I've just ordered one of these.

They are out of stock due to demand at that price. Looking forward to it in the next few days.

dave

I recently purchased the Sony but probably would have preferred the Samsung in hindsight as it's built on the android platform and there are heaps more apps available.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor

Would this be via a mouse .......sorry but i am not too sure about this aspect of a smart tv

That's why i started the thread .. :confused:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
It occurred to me there may be an icon on the console ??

And what if you chose to answer and email ........how

Or am i jumping the gun and you are actually not able to via your smart tv ??

dave

I think some of them actually have apps that you can use on your smart phone/tablet. I know that with my Sony we have only used the remote control and it is pretty clunky.

Billy01

Top Contributor
oh dear me

Even the young ones who work in the industry don't get it. Convergence may be the next big thing at least it will be in the States. Apple TV Google TV etc etc its been around for a decade its just the networks who are shitting themselves and have the power to slow it down as they are stuffed when it happens. For anyone who cares to learn read about the owners of Channel 9 and why the deal is a private equity disaster. Yawn And this is not a dig at you spacey for asking the question as its an interesting topic. It frustrates me when the young Don't get IT

Last edited:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
At the age of 47 i don't consider it a dig at me

Basically as the owner of such names as streammovies/tv and gameconsoles/tv giftchannel/tv i am just interested to see the adoption of this technology by people involved in the internet as i think they would be more likely to take all these transitions on board perhaps faster than other industries

Timmy

Banned
I have a Samsung Smart TV and love it. In particular I like having Skype on the TV, so I can have a video call with friends around the world from the comfort of my couch :)

There are a truck load of applications. I am happy to recommend the Samsung Smart TVs. I have also heard great things about the Sony Smart TVs

+1 - it's a pain using the remote but it is handy for skype etc... I'm not convinced the Samsung appstore is going to boom but still very cool having the bluray player and tv on auto software update.

After staring at the 55" LED for 6 months I can't look at normal television anymore - there's no turning back now haha!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo