What's new

Industry Growth? Multiple Sales/Drops?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was just thinking to myself today I wonder how much the AU domain industry has grown in the last couple of years?

Then it got me thinking, what would be a reasonably reliable way of working out if domains have grown in value over that time.

My thinking was that the best possible way would be to see if there have been domains that have been sold twice recently or dropped twice and caught at auction both times.

Does anyone know of any domains that have done this? or where one might go about finding such data?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
If you assume the quality of domains dropping over the years is constant then average the drop amounts you would have a rough proxy.

snoopy

Top Contributor
My thinking was that the best possible way would be to see if there have been domains that have been sold twice recently or dropped twice and caught at auction both times.

That is the best way I think, particularly if they are both auction sales.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I have a LN.com.au domain due to expire shortly that was overlooked at the drop auctions 2 years ago. Gut feeling is that it will get some bids this time around.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
If you assume the quality of domains dropping over the years is constant then average the drop amounts you would have a rough proxy.
I guess that's the problem though - I don't know if the quality is consistent.

My instincts tell me that the quality of domains being dropped is diminishing, but of course I haven't looked at any specific stats that reflect that.

I have a LN.com.au domain due to expire shortly that was overlooked at the drop auctions 2 years ago. Gut feeling is that it will get some bids this time around.
That's a good point... I suppose that's the easiest way to find out if the market has picked up, Maybe we should start a thread where we list the domains we are going to drop that we have previously bought on expiry auctions so we can all watch the results. Granted this will only reflect the low end of the market given that we probably won't drop domains we see value in.

That is the best way I think, particularly if they are both auction sales.
Agreed. I know I have picked up a few domains at expiry auctions, or even hand reged them after they passed in as auction then I have received offers for them some months later. I don't think this sort of thing is reflective of "industry growth" as much as it is just the right buyer coming along one day who wasn't previously at the expiry auction.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
You could also sample and compare the drop prices vs the exacts. Within certain high competition verticals (credit cards, geo) this should be fairly good.

James

Top Contributor
Best person would be domainer income to pull some comparison data on this YOY...

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor

OK so this name dropped today - H2.com.au

Ended up being the top domain on Netfleet fetching $344. So there you go.. 2 years ago 0 bids, today $344 :)

there are an ever increasing number of domainers driving prices up. I remember the old days of DomainWatch when premium names were not selling for more than $2K on average, but otherwise good names were selling for $100 or $200 :)

iejs

DomainWatch! I'd all but forgotten about them.

It's funny how things move around in this game.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo