What's new

Indian Domain Names

coreyg

Top Contributor
An exclusive interview with Samit on Indian Domain Names

Why is domain extension .in increasing in popularity?

.IN is used extensively in India for branding local presence for International companies and a lot of new initiatives or divisions of existing majors in India.

It has widespread acceptability in Germany, Russia, Switzerland as well as with the Indian Expat community the world over.

Also, IN is a preposition and thus makes for amazing hacks and expands usage.

Can you explain the difference between hand registration and drop?

A drop is a domain that has expired due to its previous registrant not having renewed it. Most gTLDs drops are picked up by 'drop services' for resale in the aftermarket.

A hand registration is when you register a domain via a regular registrar.

How are co.in and .in and recently dropped and available domains registered immediatley?

Currently there are no drop services who manage .in and .co.in hence making it comparatively easier for domainers to get some of the action.

Most of the drops are registered using either the Enom or Directi Reseller API which allows one to execute the order in seconds, rather than going through a comparatively lengthy checkout process.

Where do you see the value of LLLL.IN and premium-letter-combo LLL.in in the future?

LLLL.in that make business sense are already valuable, I assume dictionary LLLL.ins will also make sense in a couple of years. Random LLLL.in or CVCV, while popular with domainers will require a fairly large gestation period to provide exceptional ROI.

LLL.in, premium or otherwise, are now no longer available for hand registration and hence have inherent rarity value. How much this value will be is completely based on the number of possible end users and the value they are willing to attribute to a particular name.

What do you think makes a great Indian domain name?

Probably the same thing that makes any domain great - applicability to industry, brand value and metrics. Local significance is of value only when the target market is Indian.

Thank you for your time Samit, I really appreciate it. I’m sure the domaining industry will find this information an interesting read.

Visit Samit's website The MediaWizard's Blog | mwzd.com

Cheers
Corey

DavidL

Top Contributor
... LLL.in, premium or otherwise, are now no longer available for hand registration and hence have inherent rarity value.

Isn't this interesting - there are still thousands of LLL.com.au's left and yet a typical keyword com.au would be worth way more than the .in equivalent.

I'm going to start getting into .in. I only have one - caraccessories.in which I banged up a minisite and within a few months had an extraordinary amount of (human) visitors. Was really impressed however the CTR was abysmal for some reason and the CPC pretty damn low so the ultimate revenue wasn't that great.

Hosting problems at the moment... so i hope I can rekindle that traffic.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo