What's new

Incoming RSS Feed and SEO Benefits

shags38

Top Contributor
One for the resident SEO Experts.

Example to use with the following question being a Movie site with trailers, reviews, news etc.(monetized)

Subscribing to RSS feed(s) (in this case feeds from Movie Review sites) and using the feeds on a page on a site as per above - does this provide any "freshness benefits" to GoogleBot?

I assume so, however what effects do "placement" and quantity of feeds have as far as SEO benefits is concerned versus possible negative SEO?

On the site in question I have ten (10) separate RSS Feeds each on its own individual page, with some other descriptive introductory text (to satisfy AdSense guidelines). Why do I have 10 ?.... not sure. Now after Penguin I am questioning the benefits versus possible penalty of having more than one RSS Feed as well as placement, i.e. where should a feed be if indeed there is a Google preferred placement?

Any thoughts chaps?

Mike

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Hard question without seeing the site shags..

Are you sure you have enough feeds though? You might need twenty (20) to beat the Penguin update ;)

shags38

Top Contributor
Hard question without seeing the site shags..

Are you sure you have enough feeds though? You might need twenty (20) to beat the Penguin update ;)

site is www.3DMoviesBest.com. Up until about 10 days ago, surprisingly about the time of the Penguin release, which was preceded by a Panda update 3 days earlier, the site was averaging about 250 unique visits daily with about an additional 10% returning visitors. Since then the average is 17 daily visits via a deep link to an internal page - the index page which was sitting between #3 and #8 for up to 10 keyword phrases is now nowhere to be seen :mad:

So being as clever as I am I put some long hard thinking into this and applied my exceptional logic and came to the conclusion that I was caught up in the "3%" of sites affected by Penguin (Matt Cutts figure). :D

Initially I thought it might have been for keyword stuffing (with some pages at about 21% :eek:) so I set about fixing that with some pages still to be sorted (site is 165 pages).

However utilizing my undoubted super intelligence I figured that it was maybe more than one misdemeanor that I am "not guilty" of which could possibly include the RSS Feeds situation :)

Or even the fact that the 209k links to the site come from 339 sites all bar maybe 20 of them are sites that I own? Could that also be something that the Penguin thought wasn't kosha?

Anyway back to the point - with the site link now what effect are the RSS Feeds having? :confused:

cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

theseoconsultant

Top Contributor
site is www.3DMoviesBest.com. Up until about 10 days ago, surprisingly about the time of the Penguin release, which was preceded by a Panda update 3 days earlier, the site was averaging about 250 unique visits daily with about an additional 10% returning visitors. Since then the average is 17 daily visits via a deep link to an internal page - the index page which was sitting between #3 and #8 for up to 10 keyword phrases is now nowhere to be seen :mad:

So being as clever as I am I put some long hard thinking into this and applied my exceptional logic and came to the conclusion that I was caught up in the "3%" of sites affected by Penguin (Matt Cutts figure). :D

Initially I thought it might have been for keyword stuffing (with some pages at about 21% :eek:) so I set about fixing that with some pages still to be sorted (site is 165 pages).

However utilizing my undoubted super intelligence I figured that it was maybe more than one misdemeanor that I am "not guilty" of which could possibly include the RSS Feeds situation :)

Or even the fact that the 209k links to the site come from 339 sites all bar maybe 20 of them are sites that I own? Could that also be something that the Penguin thought wasn't kosha?

Anyway back to the point - with the site link now what effect are the RSS Feeds having? :confused:

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I noticed you mentioned 209K links, 20 websites of which are yours. Google is getting very clever at reverse-engineering link profiles to find any footprints, no matter how small - my advice here is to diversify your link building efforts and stick to trying to find authority websites to comments or blog post on.

Not to mention, 209K links is quite a lot - I'd be willing to bet that 50% (minimum) of them have been hit by Panda, and now that Penguin has now be unleashed, it probably hasn't done your website any better in terms of SEO health.

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

I noticed you mentioned 209K links, 20 websites of which are yours. Google is getting very clever at reverse-engineering link profiles to find any footprints, no matter how small - my advice here is to diversify your link building efforts and stick to trying to find authority websites to comments or blog post on.

Not to mention, 209K links is quite a lot - I'd be willing to bet that 50% (minimum) of them have been hit by Panda, and now that Penguin has now be unleashed, it probably hasn't done your website any better in terms of SEO health.

The sites from which all the links emanate are parked - is that an issue? By parked I mean they are parked (at Domain Apps, formerly WhyPark) as "content" sites - I can and do occasionally alter content on those sites so I am not sure if they would be classed as "parked" sites under the Google term would they?

payattention

Archived Member
I don't see a 3D RSS feed.

Seriously though, why are you creating so many feeds? No-one really uses RSS and the small amount of people that do are not going to subscribe to your feed anyway.

Are you importing the feed from other peoples website for each page? It's unlikely you're going to outrank the original articles unless you do it on a domain with huge authority.

Quick check on ahrefs shows you have a total of about 2k links coming from 13 IPs so it's pretty obvious these are site wide and not from a large diversity of sites. You could create a million backlinks by creating a million pages on the 1 domain and it still wouldn't count for much.

Personally I wouldn't risk my Adsense account on a site like this. You were already banned once before right? It'll probably happen again if you continue putting your code on sites like this.

shags38

Top Contributor
I don't see a 3D RSS feed.

Seriously though, why are you creating so many feeds? No-one really uses RSS and the small amount of people that do are not going to subscribe to your feed anyway.

Are you importing the feed from other peoples website for each page? It's unlikely you're going to outrank the original articles unless you do it on a domain with huge authority.

Quick check on ahrefs shows you have a total of about 2k links coming from 13 IPs so it's pretty obvious these are site wide and not from a large diversity of sites. You could create a million backlinks by creating a million pages on the 1 domain and it still wouldn't count for much.

Personally I wouldn't risk my Adsense account on a site like this. You were already banned once before right? It'll probably happen again if you continue putting your code on sites like this.

I see you haven't lost your sense of humor general.:)

The feeds are incoming (DUCK, INCOMING!!) being used as a site content refresher. The feeds come from great movie review sites like Rotten Tomatoes, NYT, LA Times etc but I rank above them (or used to) because of the singular focus on 3D movies.

The incoming links - correct, there is significant volume (209k from 339 domains according to Google Webmaster stats) but very little substance or authority amongst them, if any at all :(

In respect to risking the Adsense account on this site. I thought long and hard about putting ads on it but I went through the Adsense guidelines very thoroughly to ensure that every page I placed an ad on abided 100% with their rules. PLEASE if you can see what you think might be a violation then point it out to me!!!

Anyways - back to the original question about the RSS Feeds (there to create site freshness, i.e. fresh content on a continual basis (daily), in addition to any new content I will add maybe weekly / fortnightly. As it stands are the feeds creating any issues with Google - is it Black Hat, is it allowed, is it allowed but overboard, is having more than one an overkill, is having more than one not an issue - standpoints from an SEO expert viewpoint ;)

cheers,
Mike

p.s. how did you do that backlink check? what site did you use?

shags38

Top Contributor
I once visited a site that had 3 incoming RSS feeds but actually had the content from each feed randomly mixed into the one table or frame, I think by time frame order.

It was quite good. The other brilliant thing I thought from an SEO viewpoint was that each article in the feed had its URL changed to his site's URL so that it became http://www."hissite".com.au/"articlefeedsite".com/"articletitle".html and each article was archived by title and date and filed in pages on his site so that the amount of "relevant" content on the site was enormous (probably why he had #1 SERP - legitimate site, internet industry based, about 200k au searches per month ) but it was the only other content on his site other than the home page!!

Any ideas how that was done?? ;) ... if so I would dearly love to know how to achieve the same thing for a number of my sites.

cheers,
Mike

findtim

Top Contributor
i'd be more concerned with what google is doing with "google +"

its bascially starting to tells us to join G+ or else it won't rank our sites, BUT then its now saying unless you get everybody else to join the same will happen.

pagerank is GONE, linkbacks are gone, google wants humans to approve and THUS they can sell all the statisical knowledge they gain from that.

i type in google.COM and it flicks me to the .au , I change my location to London and it asks me for an australian postcode, i go to google.co.uk and once i do ONE search it flicks me back to google.com.AU

now thats just me who kinda knows how to surf the net but joe-blow down the road doesn't know whats going on.

i want to buy a camera but it only feeds me melbourne camera dealers when we live in a worldwide market place.

i could go on forever but RSS i don't think is something to spend time on
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/04/03/google-hates-feedburner/

tim

shags38

Top Contributor
i'd be more concerned with what google is doing with "google +"

its bascially starting to tells us to join G+ or else it won't rank our sites, BUT then its now saying unless you get everybody else to join the same will happen.

pagerank is GONE, linkbacks are gone, google wants humans to approve and THUS they can sell all the statisical knowledge they gain from that.

i type in google.COM and it flicks me to the .au , I change my location to London and it asks me for an australian postcode, i go to google.co.uk and once i do ONE search it flicks me back to google.com.AU

now thats just me who kinda knows how to surf the net but joe-blow down the road doesn't know whats going on.

i want to buy a camera but it only feeds me melbourne camera dealers when we live in a worldwide market place.

i could go on forever but RSS i don't think is something to spend time on
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/04/03/google-hates-feedburner/

tim

Thanks for the input Tim. Google is a massive Advertising Mogul - search engine activity is just a means to sell (and control) advertising :cool:

"Google just can’t help itself. It’s like a drunk stumbling into a bar, or a junkie with his bony fingers clamped tightly around a fresh new 50 dollar note. The search engine giant seems determined to self-immolate. Forget about anti-trust for the time being, we’re talking instead about the debasement of its core product.

It’s hardly a secret that Google has been openly abandoning the principles that made it successful and its pioneers spectacularly wealthy."

here is the link to the article - we have all been duped :eek:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/423351/wednesday_grok_google_chases_paid_inclusion_very_evil_it_once_spurned/?utm_medium=newsletter&eid=-6787&utm_source=computerworld-today-pm-edition

James

Top Contributor
- Rss feeds can help with pinging freshness of content, QDF is a signal for search engines meaning Quality Deserves Freshness.

- As said above you can have millions of backlinks but its pointless if its off one low quality root domains. I focus on leveraging a larger link profile from more natural and diverse root domains.

- It is also important to note (Panda) targets Content (Penguin) targets link building. From my analysis I feel it is more targeting low quality spun content in large scale as a key yet other factors are also targeted.

- Finally I would more be concerned with targeting higher quality strategies and focusing on a larger scale natural link profile.

findtim

Top Contributor
surely we all do know that this is going to DIRECTLY effect domaining, don't we ?

will UNIQUE VALID CONTENT still rule? or will it be G+ friends?

imagine a website for a medical condition, heaps of GREAT content but can only get onto page 5 of google because of all the medical funds in front of it

YES, it happens today BUT the moral here is that the direction gogle is taken means that NO MATTER what that site does it just won't get listed page one BECAUSE google is not getting marketing data for its G+

i think i hav changed the thread focus, sorry. but the footies just started so i'm gone for the next few hours

tim

James

Top Contributor
surely we all do know that this is going to DIRECTLY effect domaining, don't we ?

will UNIQUE VALID CONTENT still rule? or will it be G+ friends?

imagine a website for a medical condition, heaps of GREAT content but can only get onto page 5 of google because of all the medical funds in front of it

YES, it happens today BUT the moral here is that the direction gogle is taken means that NO MATTER what that site does it just won't get listed page one BECAUSE google is not getting marketing data for its G+

i think i hav changed the thread focus, sorry. but the footies just started so i'm gone for the next few hours

tim

Google+ is an area to keep note of but in terms of what is still working in the current market, its something to use as part of a wider strategy.

Also I think Facebook is currently dominating the "Information race"

An interesting piece from last week is here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjac...ght-completely-disappear-in-the-next-5-years/

findtim

Top Contributor
Google+ is an area to keep note of but in terms of what is still working in the current market, its something to use as part of a wider strategy.

Also I think Facebook is currently dominating the "Information race"

An interesting piece from last week is here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjac...ght-completely-disappear-in-the-next-5-years/

james: GREAT LINK and i advise everyone to take the time to read it in full, thankyou, as that is where i was heading with my comments but couldn't quite get it out ( the kids were screaming...)

OMG, the reality is we just need to be IN THIS business everyday and sharing info as its just travelling sooo fast.

I just said to helena tonight that after the internet show and the mobile phone seminars i went to we need to take advantage of this , but then we need to make sure whats coming next and then next etccc.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member