1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

IMPORTANT ICANN Transfer Policy Change 1 December 2016

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Cooper Mills DomainLawyer, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    For those of us who own .com and .net domains the new ICANN transfer policy comes into effect on 1 December. It is important that your WHOIS records are correct, as changes will require further verification from 1 December.

A marked up copy of the policy is here

Scott7 and DnEbook like this.
  2. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I wish icann would integrate 2 factor authentication into the mix..

3. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

When 6 4 6 2 was stolen I sent an email to the Icann ombudsman Chris LaHatte, We exchanged two emails and in the final one I suggested all disputed domains and transfers should be locked down for 60 days to avoid theft and quick transfer away form the holding registrar, I actually suggested that names claimed to be stolen should be paced into a holding pattern until some form of resolution is reached. Seems he might have listened to the 60 day suggestion. Some folk are claiming this will affect "flipping" however I don't think 60 days is a long time and if it guards against theft I think it is a good thing
    ~
    As for people too lazy yo have updated their whois contact info ..... I will not be verifying any names I don't own, so sick of spam for names I no longer own!

4. eg73

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I wonder how they came to the 60 day period. I actually do think it's a long time, but if it cuts down on scams then I'll be all for it!

5. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Anyone who has ever lost a name will support this, trust me it's no fun. Not sure if it was my suggestion of 60 days or other influences?

6. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

You mean make all accounts/registrars use it? (many do offer it at the moment) I guess it would be doable.

7. eg73

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Have it used as far as the domain transfer process is concerned.

8. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thanks for sharing.
    There's a really informative interview on Domain Name Wire about this, where Andrew Allemann discusses the policy changes with Endurance International Compliance Officer, Darcy Southwell.

9. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thanks Scott, its just an extra bit of house keeping that I would rather do without at this time of the year...