What's new

i'm SICK OF SPAM

findtim

Top Contributor
i run about 80 email addresses across my own website businesses, i monitor around the same for various client websites and SPAM drives me crazy, i probably get around spam 40 a day which i think is pretty good considering 160 email addresses but it just P's me off, i've got spam filters on all sites, i have antivirus, anti malware, anti bloody everything !!!

i've tried directing via gmail but that is just a pain in the bum and look unprofessional ( to me) when replying to valid email requests to potential clients.

ANY HINTS? but please do not suggest me having 1 email address as its just not possible in the way i work.

tim

Hi Tim

We use Mailguard an Australian company that provides awesome antispam, anti virus and anti Malware protection - easy to set up and cheap. We have used them since 2005 and have been extremely happy - I know that they are used by a lot of the big names including government.

If you have a heap of client emails I would sign up as a reseller and make some money out of it while providing your clients with a great service.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Did you use gmail for business or just the standard version?

I don't see how it's unprofessional to use their MX records but your own email addresses? I use gmail and I get basically no spam...

findtim

Top Contributor
Hi Tim

We use Mailguard an Australian company that provides awesome antispam, anti virus and anti Malware protection - easy to set up and cheap. We have used them since 2005 and have been extremely happy - I know that they are used by a lot of the big names including government.

If you have a heap of client emails I would sign up as a reseller and make some money out of it while providing your clients with a great service.

thanks, i'll check it out, reseller? i think that my clients expect me to protect them from spam as i am the host of all my clients websites, i use hostgator and i LOVE them but when i first moved to them i got TONNNEEESSS of spam INSTANTLY which really pissed me off, but they have anti spam settings in the cpanel which i set to medium... a balance between blocking and loosing valid emails.

firstpageresults: its just that when the email gets sent it arrives saying "from gmail on behalf of tim@tim.com" or something? have i just set the parameters wrong?

bluewren: i use outlook 2003, stable and i'm use to it, i have everything in folders and subfolders ( as i might have 3 or 4 addresses per domain ) i then check my "unread" folder each morning and mark emails for "followup" or deal with them directly.

mailguard: i've clicked 20 different pages and can't find a price for anything, i can get a free trial but why can't they just give me a rate sheet? or is the button so obvious i'm missing it?

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Hostgator *cringe*

cringe: well that doesn't give me much info so i'll just state my piece.

At first i thought it might effect my website rankings so i dipped my toe in and nothing changed, nor has it in the last 6 years i have been with them, now i have 3 seperate reseller hosting accounts ( just to keep it all in order of the business the domain relates to )

I can get a domain name and make it rank quite quickly if its a low competitive search term, to give you a fake example i can rank a site that's for a country town doctor above all the health funds within hours using geo targeted domain names so i don't think hostgator is holding me back even though on firefox it shows that it is clearly hosted in the USA ( maybe)

i've got other domains that have no keyword value in them and have them ranking page one and top 3 so once again no pain their

i'm not sure if hosting australian websites on australian servers is an issue any longer for google as i have not had that experience.

As for service it ABSOLUTELY belts crazy domain, go daddy, optus, telstra, and who ever else i've ever contacted, their online chat support is FANTASTIC, i do not think i've ever had to wait very long to chat to someone and i don't think any issue hasn't been resolved right there and then ! but i haven't had many issues either so that says alot as well.

i would honestly give hostgator a 10 out of 10 and i don't often do that.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks, but i HATEEEEEEEEEEEE trend micro, i had to test it once for a client and i spent 2 days getting rid of it, luckily i used a spare laptop so it didn't interupt my work.

it drove me MORE mental then the spam

thanks anyway,

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
thanks, but i HATEEEEEEEEEEEE trend micro, i had to test it once for a client and i spent 2 days getting rid of it, luckily i used a spare laptop so it didn't interupt my work.

it drove me MORE mental then the spam

thanks anyway,

tim

It's not their Anti-Virus package, it is just a AntiSpam toolbar added in Outlook only. That is it.

:)

BenWalker

Top Contributor
Did you use gmail for business or just the standard version?

I don't see how it's unprofessional to use their MX records but your own email addresses? I use gmail and I get basically no spam...

FPR...are you talking about Google Apps?

I use Google Apps ($10per month option)
http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

Best thing I have done. Syns perfectly with Calender, Android Phones.
No Spam ever. Can use your own domain.

However might not suite on Tim's case because he has so many different email accounts?

Before that, I use to use SpamArrest. Might be more suitable for Tim.
https://www.spamarrest.com/tryit/

findtim

Top Contributor
challenge/response technology doesn't work for me, thanks anyway, i get so much unsolicitored GOOD email it would kill the sales process.

years ago i had a client that was using their ISP email address and was hardly getting any leads because the ISP used CR, i switched them to direct mail via their domain name address and leads increased dramatically instantly, yes they got some spam but they liked the leads better.

thanks for everyones ideas, i do appreciate them, i think i might just grab a gun and fly to " a certain country" and start shooting people LOL, and see if my spam reduces, then maybe next year fly to a different country and do the same !

and if the cia , fbi, etc are tracking this , i am seriously just joking,

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members