1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

If I didn't want a domain name after all.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Zachorazor, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Zachorazor

Zachorazor Membership: Community

Hi.

If I've registered a .com.au name, recently, but have realised that I don't want to retain it, after due consideration, can I sell it on Netfleet in a timely manner? Or, do I have to wait 60 days due to transfer rules??? I know there's something about having to own it for a certain amount of time before transferring but am not sure if this applies to all DNs or just .com extensions.

I read this in auDA's regulations and don't want to risk any non-compliance issues, but I'd rather unload this site than keep it, gathering dust for two months.

"Please Note: Under the Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Policy Rules for Open 2LDs, a registrant may not register a domain name for the sole purpose of resale or transfer to another entity. Where a registrant is found to have breached this policy rule, auDA reserves the right to cancel the domain name licence and delete the domain name."

As I've said, it's not why I registered the name, in the first place, but I know I won't be needing it now, so do you think it's okay to sell it within the 30 or 60 days since purchase date?

I assume Netfleet is the best way to go? There is a direct link from my Registrar's site: Netregistry. Would this be advisable do you guys think and if so when would be allowable and reasonable to list this DN for sale (via auction or catalogue I suppose)?

I'd appreciate any opinions you have. Responses via the forum or PM are welcome.

Regards,

Zach

2. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I'm sure you would be fine. Just don't expect to sell it... If it was available to hand register 'recently' it's unlikely that someone is likely to pay a premium for it now.

But yeah answering your question you haven't breached the rules at all. Nothing wrong with changing your mind.

3. Zachorazor

Thanks David.

Do I have to wait a specific amount of time after original purchase, before it can be sold and transferred to a new owner?

Zach

4. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    No. Used to be 6 months but now no restriction.

5. Zachorazor

Thanks again.

If I sell through Netfleet and I don't set a reserve price or a bin price, will I have to accept whatever is offered if I put it up for auction? I can't find an answer to this specific question on their FAQs.

Thanks
    Zach.

6. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

Yes.

7. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Domains are being bought on NF and re-listed there 2 days later.

8. Zachorazor

Thanks for both those responses.

So what's best practice then? Should I list a BIN price or a reserve price, as I don't want it going for $10, and the 'push to auction' functions sounds good too.

Any issues with Netfleet at the moment or should I just go for it?

Good advice?

Always get that here.

Zach.

9. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Set your reserve at the lowest you'd sell for.

Standard IMO.

10. Zachorazor

Thanks, Johno.

Do you prefer catalogue or auctions with reserve?

Zach

11. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Never sold a domain via either. So I can't really comment as a seller sorry.

12. Zachorazor

Oh. So how do you sell domains? Hosted parked page and marketing?

Curious.

Zach.

13. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Email. Although I generally develop.

14. Zachorazor

Clearly there's more to that method than those few words. But I'll learn more as I go.

I appreciate you sharing your views in response to my earlier queries.

Zach.

15. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    If I have a domain I want to sell, I email potential end users. That's where the most money is unless its a quick sale I'm after.

Generally every domain I buy is to develop and keep or sell as a business. But that's just me.

16. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    +1

17. Zachorazor

That sounds smart. Are there problems though, with sending unsolicited emails ? Or are your contact attempts relatively well received?

Thanks for helping me by the way.

Zach.

18. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It comes back to the argument, why do they put their email address on their website if you cannot email them?

I don't add them to any list, I sent a direct email letting them know of the opportunity and that's it.

Never had anyone complain.

On a side note..

Lately i've just been picking up the phone and calling people I thought could use a site i'm selling. Funny thing was, one guy asked me who I pay advertising to, to get the site to rank. He couldn't comprehend that a website could sit at #1 on Google without paying someone a large amount of money each month. Needless to say, he's still paying someone else to run an adwords campaign and my site still sits #1.

19. Zachorazor

That seems a sound argument. Glad to hear you haven't had big issues in this regard. I
    appreciate you sharing your advice and experiences.
    Zach.

20. Zachorazor

So do you hold that rank through having created a valuable and traffic-worthy site at that domain, or is there a larger plethora of strategies involved?

I like hearing about the ways truly motivated professionals choose to go after their business goals.

Zach.