What's new

idiot proof ecom website

findtim

Top Contributor
can someone show me an idiot proof ecom website ?

I have many ecom websites, VERY successful one but today I get the most stupid request from a customer, I'm not going to bore you with details but my reply was NICE but what I really wanted to say is :

"ARE YOU A F"N IDIOT " ?

can someone please post a link to an idiot proof ecom site, don't bother with ebay etc as a link as they have millions of dollars to spend each year on web dev, I want a link to an ozzie site that has been built for under $20K

I'd like to see it and try to break it from a UX point of view.

tim

helloworld

Top Contributor
The last quote I gave for a custom Ecommerce site was 12k. I didn't get the job as they thought it was to cheap...lol

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
No such thing. You could spend upwards of 20k a month, backed by a team of business analysts, with regression testing and behaviour driven development and you'll still get dumb questions :)

m8e

Top Contributor
This is probably the easiest one that exists. bigcartel(dot)com

Alex, I think Tim is more thinking self-hosted options

Shopify.com is pretty easy too if we are talking SaaS.

What are you using now Tim? Wordpress with what plugins?

And what other platforms have you tried?

I've tried a few and never been happy with WP+plugins (admittedly not tried many)

I've worked with several ecoms sites that are custom coded, always a hassle because they're never quite right, and expen$ive to get anything changed ('specially if it's me doing the coding/billing ;-)

Magento is out there as a complex option (takes a lot to customise it and it's a resource hog, need a high spec VM to cope with medium traffic)

I did buy a copy of www.SPBAS.com and it's actually pretty nice as a PHP/Mysql shopping cart but I haven't got around to putting it live yet, I may do so this year for a particular client/JV, depending on the direction the project goes.

SPBAS is oriented towards selling digital downloads, but that's not mandatory.

There are Joomla cart plugins but man I just don't like Joomla, it's spaghetti code, and look at all the exploits. Ultimately it's ancient heritage is a fork of Mambo which was a fork of PHPNuke which most people don't know about (nearly all the exploits that came out for Mambo CMS were identical code in PHPNuke that needed patching, hence the heritage inference, even though Mambo touted they wrote it from scratch).

ANYWAY

I too would be very interested in finding a STABLE and EASY to use and easy to configure and use ecommerce shopping cart platform.

Does one even exist yet?

Don't mind paying up front to buy, but prefer if I can modify most of the source code.

Looking for self-hosted, not SaaS.

findtim

Top Contributor
i'm using woocommerce which is good, i tried getshopped... horible, previously i used oscommerce but thats dead now IMO.

" doesn't exist" even with a pile of money seems to be a recurring theme.

tim

dicardo83

Hi Tim, why would you bother changing your website for ONE customer? Surely you can tell from your analytics how many visitors are not purchasing or leaving during the purchasing process in order to make improvements to increase orders?

m8e

Top Contributor
I think by "customer" Tim is referring to a client who is paying him to build an ecommerce website for them.

He's not talking about just a single visitor to his client's ecommerce website ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
I think by "customer" Tim is referring to a client who is paying him to build an ecommerce website for them.

He's not talking about just a single visitor to his client's ecommerce website ;)

sorry no, i am talking about the customer, woocommerce runs well for my clients no matter how dumb they are.

i'm talking about having to hold the hand of the customer " now do this " " now do this" all the way through the process.

we are getting @ 75% phone calls saying " i'm looking at your website and i'd like to order" , instead of just ordering ?

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members