1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

"I want my friends back!"

Discussion in 'Social Media & Networking' started by payattention, Oct 25, 2012.

1. payattention

payattention Archived Member

Interesting read. I definitely agree with the sentiment that "putting a lot of energy into building a Facebook presence is a sucker’s game."

Great for Facebook, not so much for people who built up big pages or paid to attract people to their page to begin with.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/facebook_i_want_my_friends_back

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

At the end of the day promoting a Facebook page is building up someone else's business. Facebook is in a major bind in my view, no clear business model & this idea is one of cannibalism.

3. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I believe in building value in my brands, not Facebook's. That's why although some of my brands have Facebook pages, they're not the key focus by any stretch.

Personally I've found that 1 hour invested in Facebook pages is better spent as one hour on my websites, the return on my time has been consistently better.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all businesses/brands will get value from extensive use of social media, for some industries and business models it's just not the best use of resources. For some of my sites I have basically zero social media presence because it's just not applicable.

4. Alex

Alex Membership: Community

Oi - who moved my cheese! lol

5. TuffNut

TuffNut Membership: Trader

Hi

I think that if you can build a presence outside your own website is also important. If you had 1 million fans in a facebook page, dont you think that it would have been worth wile spending some time and money developing a network where you can promote the goods that you sell or raise your public profile?

I should do something with my fan pages :)

6. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

So back to email marketing...?

...just read the rest of the article and I saw this...
    This was a good quote too:

7. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    At the end of the day, FB is trying to be commercial - make money as it's shareholders demand.

People are quick to complain (both businesses and users) but at the end of the day:

1) There's nothing saying it's got to be free
    2) You don't have to use it

I've surprisingly actually found it quite effective to build eyeballs but then again I've only been using it for a few months.

Eg this post - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...450708454942484.121270.450514851628511&type=1 I paid $10 to promote and it got 13,500 views, 235 likes, 23 comments and 23 shares. Seems like decent value to me?

8. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

Yes, but there are also the following rules of capitalism to think about:

1) business will only be done if it is a good for both parties
    2) when above market average profits are acheived new enterants will enter the market if the barriers to entry are lower than the returns expected

;)

9. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    What do you think the answers are in this case? I think:

1) Still makes sense for a business (in certain niches) to do business on FB. ROI beats many other multi-billion dollar media
    2) FB is the market so hard to say whether its profits are above average. However they aren't great are they? And there are big, big barriers to entry...

10. FirstPageResults

FirstPageResults Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Seems like a great result, but the problem is you now have to pay again to promote content to these fans that you already paid to get.

Having said that, at the end of the day if (big if) it's effective then really there is nothing to complain about.

11. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yep you're quite right - you need to add both together.

And I'd be pissed like those guys in the article if I'd spent a fortune recruiting likes on the assumption it was a one-off expense.

Just checked that post and I got 43 new page likes from that post so the other way to look at it would be paying 23c a like but the post is free!

Note: that was one of the better posts.

PS at the risk of sounding like I'm 'bumming quarters' please 'Like' the page

12. Alex

Alex Membership: Community