What's new

I declare shenanigans on today's NF auction

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Very interesting participating in today's NF auction drop for a couple of the *accommodation.net.au domains.

Being a local, the one I had particular interest in was NewcastleAccommodation.net.au.

I logged in with about 20 mins to go and saw that about 90% of the *accommodation.net.au domains had bids against them, most were $10 but a few were tracking a little higher.

With approximately 8 seconds to go and the leading bid sitting at $60, I entered a bid of $120. A few more seconds passed by and with 2 seconds left the screen flashed that I was the lead bid at $120.

Thinking there would be no way anyone could spot that bid, enter a new bid, send it to the system, etc within 2 seconds I felt confident the domain was coming my way.

To my amazement, with what must have been less than a second to go a new bid of $121 flashed up. I was camping on this single domain, watching it and I couldn't type "130" in time to register a new bid.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winning bidder was tracking multiple *accommodation.net.au domains in this auction so how was this feat achieved.

Was the winner lucky, superman or using a better (possibly automated or sniper) system than me? Is there a drop system on the drop system?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/150844/south-park-calls-shenanigans

snoopy

Top Contributor
C'mon....get organised, work out before the end of the auction what you maximum is. If your maximum is unknown with 20 seconds to go you are putting yourself in a position to easily lose because of bad strategy.

Ash

Top Contributor
A winning bid of $121 would indicate to me they had a higher proxy bid than yours.

DavidL

Top Contributor
C'mon....get organised, work out before the end of the auction what you maximum is. If your maximum is unknown with 20 seconds to go you are putting yourself in a position to easily lose because of bad strategy.

With proxy bidding you just make one bid and one bid only. The maximum you're possibly prepared to pay and you fire it in with a few secs to go if you are an advocate of snipe bidding.

If the current bid is $120 and you'd be prepared to pay $2,000, don't bid $150 'because it's still very low'. Bid $2,000 and let the proxy do the work for you.

And if you get outbid by $2,001, then so be it. Even if you actually knew that the high bid was fixed at $2,001, then still don't go to $2,002 because it's over your limit.

Might sound silly for a lousy buck or so but that's how auctions work and it's a slippery slope once you adjust your 'absolute max, max never possibly pay more' proxy bid.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Thinking there would be no way anyone could spot that bid, enter a new bid, send it to the system, etc within 2 seconds I felt confident the domain was coming my way.
The domain certainly was coming your way until someone decided they were willing to pay more for it and thus won the auction.

;)

Or pay too much because you panic and bid again...

;)

A winning bid of $121 would indicate to me they had a higher proxy bid than yours.
Agreed - it doesn't sound like shenaigans at all. Sounds like what happens everyday of the week.

CyberClick

Top Contributor
I'm reconsidering my declaration of Shennanigans.

Why would the system show me as winning at $120 with 2 seconds to go if there was a higher proxy bid? Shouldn't it have automatically showed $121?

~james~

I'm reconsidering my declaration of Shennanigans.

Why would the system show me as winning at $120 with 2 seconds to go if there was a higher proxy bid? Shouldn't it have automatically showed $121?

Someone bid literally last second

snoopy

Top Contributor
Learnt this the hard way on eBay! ;)

Good place to work out some strategies I think, bidding on the new frypan rather than something important.

Though as David said there really is only one strategy that makes any sense, and that is coming in as late as possible with your absolute max.

~james~

Though as David said there really is only one strategy that makes any sense, and that is coming in as late as possible with your absolute max.

Along with a bit of:

"you're dreaming... this domain's worth nothing" on the forums beforehand... :D

johno69

Top Contributor
Netfleet must have forgotten to hit the start button today.

Most were available as hand reg before their system kicked in. Well, those that Drop didn't snap up anyway.

findtim

Top Contributor
proxy: i think the person would have had thier proxy typed in and didn't want to show their cards and hit the bid button at the last moment.

at least you lost and learnt on a .net.au !

tim

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Thanks for the advice everyone. I hereby remove my declaration of shenanigans pending further research.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member