What's new

I am terrible at marketing myself...

helloworld

Top Contributor
Hi all,

So just a bit of background info. For the past 7 years I have worked for Melbourne's largest Streetpress. During that time I started in accounts receivable after a short career in IT at a bank. During this time I went and studied web design at Swinburne. I eventually managed to to work my way in as the webmaster and oversaw the implementation and project of the Drupal website that you see today. I had a few successes with my SEO strategies for the site like ranking us above the competition on their brand keyword and other ranking us for terms like gig guide and Melbourne gig guide.

In late 2008 a colleague and I were discussing what our dreams were outside of this company and he mentioned that he wanted to sell designer t-shirts but had no capital. I had already tried and failed at dropshipping but because of his already close ties within the industry I believed his idea could be successful. I explained the dropshipping process and how it could work with his idea. I told him I would build his website for him and he could pay me at a later stage...at that time I had nothing to lose but hours so working quid pro qo was not an issue. He gave me enough money to lease a server and I started building the website. Shortly after it was finished I went through some very basic SEO strategies by getting him to build links with his distributors. This worked and his site made a lot gains. Around the same time I discussed with an friend about taking the business to the next level. I asked for pay out from the website job and he jumped at the offer.

Fast forward to mid 2011, I had become somewhat addicted to SEO and this continued until I found myself working at a SEO firm. The thing is, they had been doing everything I had been doing and I knew I could do it better. So with some capital to cover my costs I decided to leave them and start working solely on my own business.

It's been a few months and I have picked up about 4 new clients. Nothing that is going to change the world obviously, in fact I am yet to cover my costs. So I also continue to work on my new website design and give more attention to my current clients.

I am really wanting to "break" into the Digital Marketing industry. I know I am good at it, in fact I checked on a couple of projects I set up with the seo firm I worked for and they are achieving exceptionally good ranking results from my strategy.

So, I would like to offer a free SEO strategy to someone here who is starting a new business and website and doesn't currently have a strategy. I would prefer to use someone who is a respected/older member for obvious reasons (but I am open to offers).

Because it is free I won't write the content but I will assist with how the strategy is laid out and building links. I don't just add links to directories or private blog networks either, I do use the directories but I also push content to pr networks. Anyway more on that later.

So feel free to hit me up here or send me a direct message.

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi Helloworld, it sounds like you are very good at what you do and I think that's a great story of personal growth. I commend you for your go get 'em attitude and wish you luck with your business.

I think what you are offering sounds similar to the DNTrade SEO challenge that Ned set up earlier in the year and if the success of that is anything to go by you should do well with this promotion.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Thanks for the feedback, Ash. I've had a quick scan of that thread. Going to give it a good read tonight. Cheers Steve

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo