1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

I am pissed

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by Lorenzo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

I lost my domain
    Lorenzo.com.au
    because VentraIp did not send me any renewal warning (contrary to what they say they do when you register a new domain) and I was too busy and it happened that I totally forgot when it was due.
    And now it's a stupid parking page. :mad:

2. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    The new registrant is a member here. It might be worth getting in touch via the WhoIs contact info.

Lorenzo likes this.
  3. Lorenzo

Thanks Scott
    It could not have been otherwise, who else would register that name in Australia? It's so uncommon!
    VentraIP is blaming me but I think they have made a mistake, I was supposed to receive a notification on my email, not the old one which I changed last year.

28-09-2017 10-52-49 PM.jpg 28-09-2017 10-53-38 PM.jpg
    28-09-2017 10-51-43 PM.jpg

4. Lorenzo

is not this confusing? This guy says that my email would not be valid in May? My domain expired in August...WTF????

28-09-2017 11-03-05 PM.jpg

5. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You could also follow up on this error via VentraIP's 24 hour phone support on 13 24 85.
    All the best with it.

6. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    bugger ! ,
    i had an online competitor many years ago and saw their .com.au on drops, they used their .com so i thought hmmm might have slipped past them?
    so i rang them and told them, and asked if they needed help in securing it at no fee to me , they actually told me they had meant it to drop as they were closing down for family reasons, so i then asked if they were ok with me buying it and they said yes.

moral: sometimes you just got to do the right thing, have you contacted the new owner? if it was me i'd just give it back to you and i'm sure many members would say the same.

i've had a domain drop like this and i just rang the new owner up and paid a small premium to get it back, i figure the additional cost is just like a "parking fine" LOL , but if they don't know, they don't know !

tim

7. Lorenzo

uhmmm I did not know that, however who do you think will answer at 2 AM? Some low level authority staff who can only tell me that it's my fault if I did not renew it?

8. Lorenzo

It was not my business domain but something I had a connection with, being my first name so I used it for my emails which now I have to change, a big headache thanks to VentraIP.

9. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It sucks that you lost your domain, but how is this your registrar's fault?

Registrant contact details are set per domain, regardless of the registrar you use. The same thing would have happened if you were using GoDaddy or any other registrar.

You sold a domain that you were using for the contact details on another domain, but you didn't update your domain contact details - that doesn't sound like VentraIP's fault to me.

The domain contact details are the responsibility of the registrant, not the registrar.

johno69 and snoopy like this.
  10. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    On reflection, GoDaddy is a terrible example. They bombard the account holder/contact with emails.

The only constant, regardless of registrar, is that the domain contact email will always receive renewal notices.

DnEbook likes this.
  11. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Sorry to hear this but it's gotta be "auto renew" for important names

12. geodomains

geodomains Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Happened to me earlier this year with Ventraip with an old email address on the domain at the registry.
    I had my new email on the account they were held in thinking I would get renewals, but it does not work that way.
    Even an old dog like me made a rooky mistake.
    Don

DomainNames and eBranding.com.au like this.
  13. Joel

Joel Membership: Community

So for 30 days prior to it entering into the drop & purge cycle when it was just in an expired state, you didn't notice that the domain wasn't working?

It's hard to take, I know I wouldn't want to lose an important domain either, but in this case the fault doesn't lie with VentraIP in my opinion.

eBranding.com.au likes this.
  14. Lorenzo

Like I said, I was busy and I was not using the domain other than for my email address, however I have many other emails addresses depending where/what I need to use and write so the only thing I noticed was that they were bouncing back but since in the same period I moved hosting I though it was due to that. Good luck to the new Registrant, I won't pay for it, there is probably no one else interested in that domain here and it's ironic that I registered it just because someone on this forum few years ago was so kind to let me know that it was available.

15. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Take responsibility and stop blaming everyone else. Not ventraip's fault, not the new registrants fault. Your fault! We have all done this. Need to carefully manage renewals.

johno69 and Ricky like this.