What's new

Hyphen names

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Do you like them , it seems that as names become scarce , they are being accepted and some good sales are showing up on dnjournal sometimes , i sold solar-electronics *com earlier this year , i have a few , do you have any?

j-o-b.info

p-e-t.info

r-o-b-o.com

solar-robots.com

three-dimensional.tv

soj

Founder
back a few years ago i used to think that they were alright, but now, im not so convinced. for search engine keywords, they could be useful for gaining that extra spot, but lets say we compare solarpanels.com to solar-panels.com, i think that the former would rank better in the big G.

paz

I was always under the impression that a hyphen doesnt hurt search rankings at all. I don't know if that would be the case when it splits up letters in a word, rather than words in a domain.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Go to google search page

click even more

click labs

then click google trends

type in three-dimensional,threedimensional

three-dimensional wins by a landslide

in this case the hyphen works better

soj

Founder
Then again, text-link-ads have made a huge name for themselves by using hyphens in their name, though you search for "text link ads" in google, and they arent even listed. Though i think this has mainly got to do with the fact that they were buying links and run their whole business model on link selling in general and Google have given them the big BAN

Mike Robertson

Top Contributor
I would say one hyphen is ok, anymore than that and more often than not, that domain will have little or no type-in traffic.

It also falls back to what your intentions are with the domain.

I don't claim to be an SEO expert, but multiple hyphen domains may be good for SEO purposes. But for type-in, no good.

That's my opinion anyway.

Mike
Fabulous.com

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads