What's new

Hybrids///Net///Au

Shaun

Top Contributor
Bikes? Cars? Could be opportunities... but then it's .net.au which would be my concern.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
yeah it seems the question is , is it strong enough to hang on to long term if need be ?

of that i am unsure as our market seems quite static these days imo

snoopy

Top Contributor
In think there is two problems with it,

-Firstly the extension, the number of people who will pay a premium for a .net.au is very limited. Take a look at netfleet recent sales, http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=domainsales

when a .net.au does sell (which isn't common) it is generally low 3 figures.

-Secondly who is the likely buyer for a name like this? I can't see a manufacturer or dealer needing it, they promote their own brand and it is not like some upstart is going to set up shop and sell lots of different hybrid cars online, things doesn't work like that in the car industry. For the average smaller developer all they could really do is provide information and run ads, but I doubt a significant amount is going to be spent to acquire a domain for that.

djuqa

Top Contributor
i will most probably let it drop as i reconsider the australian domain market as a whole
Bewdy Newk!
I can then buy it cheap

Bloody great name
And the short-sighted here should really re-consider the potential

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Bewdy Newk!
I can then buy it cheap

Bloody great name
And the short-sighted here should really re-consider the potential

it may be just a case of prioritizing , i do in fact see this name being of value as hybrids become more common but as with many of our aussie names the question is how long do we wish to wait for a return ? i am sure there would be a number of caryards that could use this name on the future

thanks for all imput so far

i think well over a year of reg to go and it is listed at netfleet

djuqa

Top Contributor
hybrids can be also
Hybrid breeds
hybrid styles
et al

I own several dozen .net.au names
none of which I care less about reselling anytime soon
But everyone of them will be worth money someday.

or nothing
That is the risk of high return potential investments

unlike empty blocks of land however I am making money from them in the meantime with minisites

Honan

Top Contributor
In think there is two problems with it,

-Firstly the extension, the number of people who will pay a premium for a .net.au is very limited. Take a look at netfleet recent sales, http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=domainsales

when a .net.au does sell (which isn't common) it is generally low 3 figures.

-Secondly who is the likely buyer for a name like this? I can't see a manufacturer or dealer needing it, they promote their own brand and it is not like some upstart is going to set up shop and sell lots of different hybrid cars online, things doesn't work like that in the car industry. For the average smaller developer all they could really do is provide information and run ads, but I doubt a significant amount is going to be spent to acquire a domain for that.
Hey, hold on a minute, snoop.
Looking at netfleet's recent sales gives no indication of the number and value of sales made in private
The vast majority of .au names that I have sold have been done in private, usually over the phone
I expect others have similar experiences
They might not be $10k plus sales
However 10 sales at 1k is the same
I know of a couple of people who are selling a few .au names every week to endusers, ( yes the elusive end user) and an enduser is usually too busy to do anything with netfleet after the sale is sealed.
Although I would love to put all my sales through netfleet, often the buyer is not interested in having the price published
I don't think many people realize how hot the enduser market for .au is becoming.
People tell me that fax spamming is legal in Australia
Being very lazy, I have not yet tried it.

I think hybrid //net au is an excellent name that will become a very valuable name in the future, especially after the inevtiable change to policy that will allow Aussies without a business to own a .net.au
That is my forecast based on history

djuqa

Top Contributor
Hey, hold on a minute, snoop................. especially after the inevitable change to policy that will allow Aussies without a business to own a .net.au
Where in auDA rules does it state that .net.au (or .com.au for that matter) can only be owned by businesses??

Ownership guidelines state
1/ ABN (any one can get one for free)
2/ ACN Business only (Anyone can register Business Name)
3/ Trademark Owner of name (anyone can have registered trademarks)

For minimal or zero cost anyone can qualify for .au name ownership

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Hey, hold on a minute, snoop.
Looking at netfleet's recent sales gives no indication of the number and value of sales made in private

The best indiction of the market is made is made public in my view.

I know of a couple of people who are selling a few .au names every week to endusers, ( yes the elusive end user) and an enduser is usually too busy to do anything with netfleet after the sale is sealed.

How many names do they own?

Although I would love to put all my sales through netfleet, often the buyer is not interested in having the price published

Most sales will never be reported in all extensions, trying to report them won't really change anything in my view, it is easy to see what a market is like from what is reported and the kinds of prices people are getting.

Honan

Top Contributor
Where in auDA rules does it state that .net.au (or .com.au for that matter) can only be owned by businesses??

Ownership guidelines state
1/ ABN (any one can get one for free)
2/ ACN Business only (Anyone can register Business Name)
3/ Trademark Owner of name (anyone can have registered trademarks)

For minimal or zero cost anyone can qualify for .au name ownership
You misunderstand me
Although anyone can get an ABN for free, not everyone is entitled to an ABN

You are entitled to an ABN if all of the following statements are true.

* Your activity is carried out in the:
o form of a business
o nature of trade, or
o form of a regular or continuous grant of a lease, licence or interest in property.
* Your activity is carried out in Australia or you make supplies that are connected with Australia.
* You have a reasonable expectation that a profit will be made from your activity.

djuqa

Top Contributor
but as i stated anyone can get one
and surely expectation of making money is the main reason we own domains

snoopy

Top Contributor
but as i stated anyone can get one
and surely expectation of making money is the main reason we own domains

It is a major hoop to jump through, not many would really want to have to go out and get an ABN. I think getting rid of all these formal requirements would help the market if it ever happened, personally I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
It is a major hoop to jump through, not many would really want to have to go out and get an ABN. I think getting rid of all these formal requirements would help the market if it ever happened, personally I wouldn't be holding my breath.

are we to take it you are the same 'snoop' from namepros ... going by your signature line ???

interested to know :eek:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members