What's new

How to utilise brand-name .com.au domains

ttfan

Top Contributor
I'm involved with a online shop, and I own a few of the brandname.com.au domains. We're official Australian distributors for these brands, and import directly from the overseas company (brandname.com). They have no issue with us owning or using the domain.

Currently I just have the domain directed to the online shop that sells this brand (to a landing page that talks about the brand and products). Is there is a better way to utilise this domain? It seems that currently I will only get traffic from people that type in this exact domain, which brings very little traffic.

I realise I could make a little website just for that domain, but it seems that new content that I write is probably better placed on my main online shop website, where all the products can benefit from the traffic.

Any other thoughts?

Shane

Top Contributor
I'm in a similar situation, and for now I've gone down the path of redirecting to the relevant page on the main site rather then developing the individual domains.

You might find that the brand name domains are good for using in AdWords campaigns, although it depends if people are searching for the brand or not...

In my case it's Nuts. So I have the main website Nuts.com.au and also own a bunch of other domains such as Cashews.com.au, Pistachios.com.au etc.

In a perfect world where time and money is no issue, you would develop each of the domains to a high standard, but I think it's better to keep the content (and the focus) on your main site.

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks Shane!

Yes good point about using them in adwords, I had not considered that since I'm not currently using adwords, but I might in future.

findtim

Top Contributor
nuts i'd consider a combination of an EMD and a TERM so both work for that particular domain.
a brand is a brand is a brand, and then it depends on the current brand awarenesss to make it act like an EMD eg : "kleenex"
a low level brand awareness BUT does have a recognizable logo for the target market eg: PRADA, would then be best suited to a small website to make the visitor STICK, the reason is the visitor sees the logo, then you get a chance to say you are the official importer to build confidence, then push them to the shop.

you also get to put that into your google listing description. i think this effort would improve conversions.

tim

helloworld

Top Contributor
You either park it and use it for Adwords or develop it and use it as either a pbn or a alternate site either branded or non branded. They are really the options you have.

ttfan

Top Contributor
The brands, for which I'm a distributor and own the brand.com.au domain, have a Facebook page run by the manufacturer (overseas). Now I'm thinking I might be able to setup a mini-site, with some basic information but with news automatically retrieved from their Facebook page (there are plugins for that), to keep the content fresh. Worthwhile?

The brands, for which I'm a distributor and own the brand.com.au domain, have a Facebook page run by the manufacturer (overseas). Now I'm thinking I might be able to setup a mini-site, with some basic information but with news automatically retrieved from their Facebook page (there are plugins for that), to keep the content fresh. Worthwhile?

I don't know what your distribution agreements say, but I would get permission first. Also you may get some seo penalty for duplicate content - worth asking James or Chris about that

ttfan

Top Contributor
Fair enough. I meant just display feeds from their Facebook page, which I think can only benefit them, so I doubt they'd have an issue.

findtim

Top Contributor
the more well know the brand the more tough they become about their IP, they don't want their logo on a site that looks like crap or looks spammy.
tim

Shane

Top Contributor
My insurance brokerage received a letter from one of the big insurer's in-house solicitors requesting that I remove their logo from my site. I have quite a few logos on there from insurers we use.

I removed it, wrote back to them telling them how daft an idea it was to send a threatening legal letter to one of their brokers, and that we'd no longer place business with them unless it was completely necessary.

Once the non-lawyers heard about it there was a sudden change of tune and I was welcomed (even encouraged!) to put the logo back. Two years later and I still haven't put it back. I can hold a grudge when I want to. :mad::p:D

But that's quite different to using a brand / trademark in a domain name. I'd never go down that path.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Have you considered selling the domain? Perhapes it's worth more than the sales created via the domain...

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Have you considered selling the domain? Perhaps it's worth more than the sales created via the domain...
Yes I've considered that, but I don't think any of the other online retailers that sell this brand (only 3 in AU) in my niche appreciate that domains have any value.
I think I'll just point the domain to a dedicated page on our online shop. A page that provides information about the brand and suggestions about recommended products from our shop.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member