What's new

How to get a good domain without paying

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Interesting post on Startup Smart last Friday title "How do I snag a good domain without paying top dollar?" by Fred Schebesta of creditcardfinder.com.au

I think he missed the mark on a number of fronts. Here are some of my favourite parts:

No doubt about it, buying a domain you might want can be pricey, especially when you have to buy it from the “still living with their parents” kid who thinks it’s still 2001.

If someone has the company name you registered, there are legal channels you can take to get your business name. AuDa has a process that you can follow. They have a dispute resolution scheme set up where you will get an independent assessor to look at your case. There is quite a bit involved, so you will need to do your research or get a lawyer.

If someone has your domain and you are starting a new company, you could potentially register the company name and try and go through legal channels.

Full article here:
http://www.startupsmart.com.au/fred...n-without-paying-top-dollar/201207277060.html

DavidL

Top Contributor
He's not mentioned the drops either which seems to be a big oversight.

No doubt about it, buying a domain you might want can be pricey, especially when you have to buy it from the “still living with their parents” kid who thinks it’s still 2001.

Domains were worth a fraction then of what they are now.

Anyway bit misguided but always good to see domain discussion!

johno69

Top Contributor
The irony of this is, I went looking for a domain today and saw it parked. Did a whois, and it's registered to one of the guys from finder.com.au.

chris

Top Contributor
Agree with the points above.

I feel that a good domain is a very important component of any online project or business. And, just like the real estate analogy, you get what you pay for.

Sure, you can be lucky or creative, but you have to be prepared to pay for a good domain. Even more for a great domain.

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
Agree with the points above.

I feel that a good domain is a very important component of any online project or business. And, just like the real estate analogy, you get what you pay for.

Sure, you can be lucky or creative, but you have to be prepared to pay for a good domain. Even more for a great domain.

Cheers,
Chris

of course you would say that chris considering you just paid 1.73 million for DNT , opppps, was i not suppose to mention that?

tim

chris

Top Contributor
1.74 to be exact :p

For most serious online businesses, the cost of domain is only a fraction of overall investment. Developers, marketing, administration etc. all cost money and from a branding/SEO/SEM/trust perspective a great domain is much better than a good domain IMO.

Cheers,
Chris

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I also left a 'comment' explaining his business ethics where somewhat lacking, strange when i last looked i could not see it approved.

At least he knows how some of his readers feel .... or his editor does

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Probably didn't want to many negative comments!

The article reads as if it was written just to have something to say... and to drop in a few links :)

johno69

Top Contributor
Did anyone grab a screenshot of this article?

Seems to have been edited to remove the dirty tactics he suggested.

PS. I did make contact re the domain I was looking at, but the price is about 50x what I value it at (compared to recent purchases of very similar domains). So my conclusion is maybe he is still living with their parents kid who thinks it’s still 2001.

djuqa

Top Contributor
I wonder what the authors reaction would be if some one tried to grab his domain using his suggested tactics.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member