1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

How to buy a car online

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by neddy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Just read another online success story in The Australian.

This tells the story of a woman was so motivated by her negative experiences trying to buy a car that she decided to set up a website designed to do the bargaining for others (and without being sexist, I presume she gets a lot of female business!).

It just goes to show that no matter how many "big fish" competitors there are out there in the online space, there is still room for niche sites.

Imagine how much business she will get from this article alone!

2. smee

smee Membership: Community

Probably not as much if it were on news com au because the Australian access requires a digi pass.

3. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Forgot I had a subscription! Sorry. (But if you can access the story online, do so, because they have some great graphs and comparisons).

But here is the article:

4. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    a GREAT idea, i give her @ 6 months till "you know who" buys her out for a motza

HTML:
     "The quote I got was $4000 higher than the price I put, but around $6000 better than the quote that I got from the dealers directly," 
    flip this and its similar to what "i think" chrisC talks about re: AMA , there must be a facility on DAA that allows an after auction contact?

[ apologies to chrisC if i have got his ideas out of context ]

tim

5. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I give her 6 months. 18 months before her domain ends up on the drops.

It's unfortunate - always like to see web success stories but this one just doesn't work...

6. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    told helena and she says YES its a winner, this is one of those social media viral sites once word gets out.

lets check back 30/6/14 ( to be fair on timespan ) and see where its at, i say winner you say loser

tim

7. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    OK done! Set a reminder!

8. James

James Membership: VIP

Wouldn't be the same company who buys every car related domain would it ;)

9. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    of course it will be.

but "news just in" i have a mate that knows about this and because DL put the bet up on 30/6/14 i asked mate the question about it, he went online and said to me " i've seen this before..... 10 years ago"

another website tried this and all that happened was people got the best price, got their refund and then bought locally by saying " this is what i can get it for " , the website owner then changed his business model to a FEE and "portion refund" and the website died in the arse.

my mate ," as in my best man mate" buys and sells cars often so it so happens he was actuallly dating a rep from that old site at the time so of course she told him the confidental stuff .

so it will be intresting, perhaps i'm gonna lose to DL ? the system has failed before, time will tell.

i still think times have changed and this will succeed.

tim

tim

10. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yeah that's the problem Tim.

Without a commitment from the buyer, the site will just be used as a pricing tool and not complete enough deals. Then the dealers will lose interest and stop quoting making it even harder.

If you try to get a commitment from the client beforehand, your enquiry level will be decimated

There have been dozens of sites like these over the years. They pop up often with a good bit of PR which gives them a initial honeymoon boost and, if they are lucky, a couple of deals. But it's not sustainable and they all wither. Even the ones with multiple-million dollar backing.

11. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Whilst I agree with a lot of DavidL's assessment, I also think this one has a chance at success. There are a few factors for my reasoning - but of course I may well be wrong!

1. Social Media - this is able to be harnessed in ways it never was a few years ago. Look at the proliferation of successful "Mumtrepreneurs" - and their various blogs that have huge readership.

2. Women power. Say no more.

3. She is obviously media savvy - she has been on ACA - and has Tracey Spicer on board to assist. https://www.dutchauctionauto.com.au...er joins Dutch Auction Auto - 16 JAN 2013.pdf

They cover this off David: https://www.dutchauctionauto.com.au/how-dutch-auction-auto-works

But as I said initially, you may well be right - time will tell.

Come what may, I wish her well. Great to see entrepreneurship in motion. :)

12. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    A similar concept is being launched for business insurance where brokers will supposedly 'bid' for a client's policy:

premiumfox.com.au

I don't think these 'Dutch Auction' systems work for a lot of the reasons that David has already given.

I give both businesses twelve months...