1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

How to acquire a domain that is in the reactivation period?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Donald, May 17, 2019.

1. Donald

Donald Membership: Community

Hi

There is a domain I want that, looking at the whois info, is registered at Namecheap and currently in the reactivation period. What's the best (least expensive) way for me to try and acquire this domain once it comes out of the reactivation period, assuming the current domain owner doesn't reactivate it?

Thanks

2. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Do you mean backorder with someone like Namejet/Snapnames?

3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    can you back order that late? NF i think don't allow it

4. Donald

I don't know how the process works because I'm new to this. If I'm the only person who places a bid, I get the domain, is that right?

5. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi @Donald, it depends what the extension is, since some work a little differently. I assumed .com, I think @findtim .com.au. But yes you are spot on, if you are the successful bidder (or no other bidders) and the platform you've backordered on "catches the domain" then you get the domain. Most of these platforms work on a "no catch, no pay" deal, but you need to check this.

For .au, Drop and Netfleet are the best/only option. For .com, I have had some success with NameJet, SnapNames and Pool.

Here's a good detailed list for reference:

https://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-backorder-services/

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of regular domain registrars that sell "backordering" services, that don't offer any actual drop catching. Stick with a drop catcher, that's what they do.

Hope you manage to get the name!

Data Glasses likes this.
  6. Donald

Thanks Chris. But I'm confused about whether I need to "backorder" the domain. Can't I just bid on the auction itself? The domain is listed on https://au.auctions.godaddy.com/

It is a .com domain that is currently registered with Namecheap (in the reactivation period). The auction is ending soon.

7. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

Yes, you can just bid.