What's new

How many is too many?

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Just wondering ... for those who domain successfully, how many is too many domains to have in a portfolio? What sort of number do you like to 'have on hand' before turning over? What sort of percentage (roughly) would you have parked vs developed vs strictly for flipping?

Oh and one other Question, Do any of you have what I would call 'status domains'?...just something you wanted for the sake of hanging onto it, or a legacy domain you would maybe never part with.

Cheers Jay

zhenjie

Top Contributor
There really isn't any proper answer to that question? I'd take a million quality domains if they all had value to them.

As for status domains. Yeah I got a few with little commercial value like single letter domains.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Yeah, I realise its more of a specific scenario type of question, I guess I was looking more for personal opinion or based on experience.

I thought I'd ask as I have just created a database of all the domains I would like to register (that are available) and categorised them and it has blown out to just over 300. Some for development, the rest...probably park or park with interest ;), some with probably future value to capitalise on.

I'm not going to go out and reg them all straight up...I'll leave it for a while and prioritise them in order of potential return etc. I think after the New Year will be a good time to 'get into it' and give domaining a decent crack. Was just curious what others are/have been upto as far as how they manage their domains (As ussual I welcome DM's for those that dont want to go public).

I will need a new registry though, Crazys are cheap on reg and hosting but not on COR, last I checked it was something like $150.

Cheers

Jay

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just wondering ... for those who domain successfully, how many is too many domains to have in a portfolio? What sort of number do you like to 'have on hand' before turning over? What sort of percentage (roughly) would you have parked vs developed vs strictly for flipping?

Oh and one other Question, Do any of you have what I would call 'status domains'?...just something you wanted for the sake of hanging onto it, or a legacy domain you would maybe never part with.

Cheers Jay

Simple answer,

If the names make money, unlimited.
If the names lose money then 1 is too many.

Forget about the "status" stuff.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
So the next Question...does one put them on the market and see what sort of response for worth or park and see if offers come in ? (thats the other thing Crazy doesnt do...they park promoting themselves but for no return to the owner).

Forget about the "status" stuff.

Not even just just one? :D

Thanks

findtim

Top Contributor
Not even just just one? :D

no, stick with snoopys advice, put them all in the black and not red and its unlimited.

"system" is the word you are looking for, pick which system you want to use whether its dev or park and then just go do it over and over again and become good at it.

zhen has a good thread right now on his parked domains with rookmedia.

also do not look at the renewal price as the breakeven point, you HAVE to add in your time on each domain, this is why dev sites need to make more money then parked sites.

tim

goldnugget

Top Contributor
As far as registrations I'm looking more into (and towards) VentraIP...I'm guessing (at this stage) maybe SEDO for TLD sales....

Bugger it...I'll try it this way:

DN reg: Ventra IP

TLD Sales: SEDO

Local Sales (.au): Looking for preferences (PM for reasons and which to avoid (and why) if you want to...not on the open forum)

ParkingRevenue: Rookmedia is looking ok ATM ....Looking for preferences (PM for reasons and which to avoid (and why) If you want to....not on the open Forum).

Hosting (sml scale): Looking for preferences.

Anything that I may develop I'll do (reads: attempt) myself :rolleyes:

What else have I missed?

Thanks Heaps
Jay

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics