What's new

How Many Domain Sales Have You Made?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was just wondering how many domain sales the members of these forums have made (approximately)?

And what were some of the lessons you learned as you got more domain sales under your belt?

James

Top Contributor
Probably 20+ over the last 5 years non AU tlds.

Sold 0 .com.au haha

1. Lessons, Don't wait on people who make you offers, I always get emails from people saying they will buy things but they never front with the money.

2. Always use Escrow for the transactions.

3. Provide as much monthly stats as possible, I find if you have 3 years domain stats its far better then say 6 months, long term revenue brings in $$$.

Shane

Top Contributor
I've sold 5 au domains, 2 through Netfleet, 1 through Flippa (with an established website) and 2 through unsolicited offers.

I've lost count of the TLDs, maybe close to 100 when I was buying and selling on ebay years ago. Since then I've sold a couple through Sedo, but I'm trying to be more of a developer than a seller.

Lessons... Don't register or hold rubbish, as you can burn through a lot of cash for for no good reason!

Timmy

Banned
Lessons... Don't register or hold rubbish, as you can burn through a lot of cash for for no good reason!

Agreed. But if like me you did register 200 crap domains when starting out, then remember that 200 crap websites all making $5 a month on adsense is better than 200 crap domains sitting at a registrar!

djuqa

Top Contributor
nearly 2000 names in 6 years
including 1500 .info's

30+ .com.au's

And I have only just started to get serious about selling! :)

soj

Founder
I have only sold one .au domain, projectors.net.au last year for $650, which i regged 2 years prior. Don't really know why I sold it, didn't need the money...probably should have just held onto it, but doesn't matter, have plenty of other domains to keep me occupied

DavidL

Top Contributor
I've sold

1 .de
2 .asia
1 .my
about 130 .au

Biggest lesson I have learnt is to let people know the domain might be for sale.

Most people here on DNtrade is they came across a domain we wanted and it was parked, would hop onto WHOIS and fire off an email expressing interest.

However the average punter wouldn't even recognise that the domain was 'parked' and therefore more likely to be for sale. They also wouldn't have any idea about WHOIS so they'd just move onto their next choice.

Stick a 'This domain may be for sale' on your domains and you GREATLY increase your chance of selling.

DISCLAIMER... below comments are unashamedly promoting Netfleet....

1) if you list your domain on Netfleet it

a) shows people it's for sale
b) tells them exactly how to make an offer

2) we have ready made banners that you can just bang on your site which will automatically tell people the domain is for sale and direct any clicks to your listing

3) if you park with Namedrive (using our affiliate code http://www.namedrive.com/?ref=4131 (more promotion!)) and pop an email to Simon, he can automatically put a 'For Sale' link on every domain for you pointing back to Netfleet

4) Names listed on Netfleet show up on the registration pages of Netregistry, Hostess, Planet Domain, TPP and MD Webhosting if they closely match the domain the user is trying to register. This directly targets end-users right at the point where they are looking to acquire a domain. Eg below is what you see if you try to register poker.com.au...

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/images/upload/Image/batterdeal/namespinner eg.JPG

....END self promotion

Sorry guys I know that was very Netfleet focused but with the subject of the thread, I just couldn't help it. Plus it's worked for me.

Note that I didn't suggest paid listing features or paid auctions - everything I suggested above doesn't cost a cent.

Nova

Top Contributor
I've sold only 1 .com.au domain to date - made $4978 profit though in less than 24 hours so I'm happy so far :)

I'm hoping to build up my portfolio over the next 12-24 months before tackling the sales side.

DR J

Hi guys and girls, I'm new here.

Been buying names since 1999.
(wanted to start in 1995 but didn't know how to. Would have been a very rich man if I had of started then.)

- Only sold 2 .com's for $6,000USD each.
- Offered $30k USD for another one in 2006, but I've kept it, as it is a developing market that has huge potential in the future. Very confident it will be worth substantially more in the years to come.

Had many offers, but I tend to hold on unless I get what I think is a great price.
Maybe I should learn to let go sometimes.

Have a deal developing now.
Got a call from a guy who wants to lease then buy a .com of mine. Small lease fee for a year then $xxx,xxx offer to purchase at end of lease period. He has just received a US patent for a new phone technology that fits perfectly with my domain. I have the domain trademarked here in Australia (eg: "mydomain.com"), so the deal will include the ™ as well.
I have a question.......does anyone know of a good IP lawyer that may be able to draft a contract for me? Thanks.

****Biggest tip I have is, find about your buyer if you can.****

For example, the guy I mentioned above rang me out of the blue from New York, while I was at work (I'm not a full time domainer) and asked me what I wanted for the domain. I asked him who he was and who he represented. He basically told me he was Jo Nobody, just an individual. Well my reply was shoot me an email and I will think about it.
Now the REAL reason I asked him to email me was to get as much of his personal info I could. And sure enough after receiving the email I Googled his name and email address. And within 1hr of net hunting I found out he was a venture capitalist with a large firm in NYC and he just got the patent I mentioned above. Very valuable info when you know what or who your dealing with.
When I replied to his email I "nicely" let him know that I did some net hunting and that I knew about his patent and his pedigree.
That's when the 6 figure offer came back........ :)

So always try to find out who your dealing with and how deep their pockets may be.

PS: If I email anyone regarding a domain I ALWAYS use a hotmail email and not my own domain. It's easier to hide who you are. Not sneaky, just smart, I think.

Thanks,
DR J <----- EG: This is just a random user name..........

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo