What's new

How Long

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Any opinions when a dedicated site to buying and selling apps would be viable .... 2years, 5years .....10years

When will the app revolution take over and become a simular commodity to domains ??

Buy Sell Apps

..... just waiting

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Do they sell apps as 'businesses" ...... i dont have a smartphone so not really up with that , so the question is when will they be viable aftermarket businesses that can be sold in the way a working website is ?

aus11

Top Contributor
Yes that's something like i was thinking of, i wonder if cctld matter in this type of venture ??

.com or nothing ??

I'm not really sure. I guess it depends on how big the Australian targeted app creation market is. Because most apps would have a worldwide target market - so it would make sense to when selling to target a worldwide buyers market.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Any opinions when a dedicated site to buying and selling apps would be viable .... 2years, 5years .....10years

My guess is never because it sounds like it isn't viable now. Why would its viability relate to age?

Billy01

Top Contributor
The App Industry Is Huge

Yes you can buy a successful app with rev models etc.

Snoopy I'll flip you a sheep station if apps aren't bigger than sites in 3 years.

Domains unless dot coms or com dot au won't be worth much in the future unless you are a BRAND

Augmented Reality is here

People no longer need any more than a one page website and an app that even small businesses like a butcher can have on Play for Android and then get his customers to download the app and having push notifications of deals of the week etc.

Currently working on apps more and more everyday.

My advide is Chris you should open an App section if you want to keep the community talking.

The app section of the forum will become much bigger than talking about domains.

Bye Bye Domains Hello Apps IMHO

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
The purpose of the questions was ......do you see the app market growing into something other than where it is now, seems some do, seems some don't

Just an open question about the growth of apps as businesses that can be sold

Interesting point by billy ..........apps section ??

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yes you can buy a successful app with rev models etc.

Snoopy I'll flip you a sheep station if apps aren't bigger than sites in 3 years.

Domains unless dot coms or com dot au won't be worth much in the future unless you are a BRAND

Personally I wouldn't give 5 minutes thought to what may or may not happen in the future. But if a site is not viable today it is never likely to be. Apps increasing in usage won't make a non viable site work.

findtim

Top Contributor
we had a debate about it at smx yesterday and although it was divided the general sense was apps are just a fragmentation of ever an increasing online world but its not a domain name killer

tim

payattention

Archived Member
The time of small time developers making an app that produces a million dollar app or enough revenue to warrant such an auction site has come and gone (most apps flop). Look at the charts - they're now dominated by larger companies such as Zynga, EA, Disney or smaller dev/indie studios with the goal of being acquired by the larger ones.

The app market has changed dramatically. There is so much junk fighting for prime position on not only the charts but the front page of your phone as well.

IMO people who think apps are going to take over the web, dominate the world, that your local butcher will have an app are all delusional. I'd put my money on web apps such as this being the future because they work on a variety of devices and are not tied down to just Apple or Android. 10 years ago Nokia was it, now it's Apple and Android. Who knows what the mobile will look like come 2020 or who will control it.

As a side note, if you're really keen on the app industry, I'd look at marketing of apps instead of development. It's in a similar transition from having a website (having an app) to marketing a website with SEO (marketing your app to gain users).

Last edited:

Billy01

Top Contributor
Mobile 40% higher CTR

I do agree with u I am delusional. However if you think I'm wrong lets look at the post in 3 years.

I fully agree about marketing of apps. That is more of an art form than websites. Apps fail mainly because people don't know how to market them and also don't leave a big enough budget for marketing as opposed to developing.

http://www.marketingmag.com.au/news...ith-40-higher-ctr-18637/#.UEf3rL2etLY.twitter

Hate to say it but I'll back myself all day long. People won't stop searching its just that you won't need to as your main sites will be apps on your device.

What that device is who knows?

Billy01

Top Contributor
I Vote For A Dedicated App Section

Anyone else think its worth while and want to learn?

Happy to post news etc as I see it hourly

We won't be talking about PS domains in 2013 it'll be what apps, who did them and how to market them.

May as well start in 2012

Chris??

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Mobile apps provide a better user experience than mobile websites...but finding an app amidst the mountain of crap out there is going to require an address [website] basically, I see apps as a complimentary value proposition than a stand alone business model.

findtim

Top Contributor
Mobile search is completely different to apps. I don't think anyone would deny search on mobile will continue to grow and evolve but they'll land on websites, not apps.

exactly, some apps will be great like a bank app, or a woolworths app but you have to manage those apps on your screen.

the suggestion domains will stop being used is like saying itunes homepage will take over google.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Do they sell apps as 'businesses" ...... i dont have a smartphone so not really up with that , so the question is when will they be viable aftermarket businesses that can be sold in the way a working website is ?

just bringing this thread back to the point, the discussion is really about the aftermarket as spacey started on that track, not will apps kill coms

Aftermarket as many people have discussed will depend on what happens with apps and thus if they were to "take over" websites ( which i thnk they won't) then i think their could be a localised aftermarket as not all apps have to be global, there are plenty of ways to create an app that is just for local eg: an OFFICIAL cairns only tourist guide create by cairns chamber of commerce, you scan a qr (or nfc) at the airport on arrival and you are set for your holiday etc etc its just an idea and its not mine.

that could then be sold as a business once established, which puts the app market into "buy build sell" but not "buy hold sell" as apps are about making money and not "appreciating" over time because NAMES aren't really associated controlled by an authority so you could have someone create their own app called the same thing and bang you are gone.

i downloaded an app the other day for the kids and i think i had 3 different ones with all the same name " learn your ABC's"

so then it turns into "buy, gain market share, sell " and thats what we are seeing at http://www.apptopia.com/

SO, keep this thread to "will there be an aftermarket" and someone please start a thread " will apps take over .coms" or something.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members