What's new

Hooked - Domaining From The Beginning

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Hey Guys,

After this domain Youth Challenge; I'm Hooked! I really want to start doing some more domaining, more development, more adsense, etc. etc.

But, I really don't know where to start. What I am wondering, is could the community possibly help lay down some tips, tricks, explanations, and information, for people who are still a bit confused.

I understand what domaining is, but I don't understand things like drops, auctions, picking good domains, development, minisites, etc. etc. Could someone maybe give an overview of how these things work; from beginning to end? I'm sure it would help all the domain newbies (like me!). :)

What would be cool, is if I found myself another domain, and did this Youth Challenge again (I mean, on my own costs and everything). :)

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
OK, so lets' start from the beginning. I find a domain I like right? And then check it in google keywords?

I've found highdefinitiontv.com.au, with 140 local monthly exacts. Do I go ahead and register? Estimated CPC $2.47?

paz

140 is low, it's like 4 searches a day.

Look for something above 1,000 exacts local per month.

paz

Type the niche and some keywords into Google Keyword Tool and then download the .csv and remove all the spaces and add .com.au to the end (use excel).

Then take the list and put it through the netfleet domain availability checker. Do this for a while and put every domain that comes up as available with 1,000+ local exacts aside...and pick from them based on your gut, competition, cpc, what you think you will stick with and write content for.

neddy

Top Contributor
Type the niche and some keywords into Google Keyword Tool and then download the .csv and remove all the spaces and add .com.au to the end (use excel).

Then take the list and put it through the netfleet domain availability checker. Do this for a while and put every domain that comes up as available with 1,000+ local exacts aside...and pick from them based on your gut, competition, cpc, what you think you will stick with and write content for.

Good advice - Paz isn't just a pretty face. ;)

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Awesome idea! So if I just choose some keywords I think I could develop, download the "keyword ideas", submit to availability checker, and think about the ones that are available AND 1000+ local exacts? Sounds easy enough :p

Sorry for this guys, it's just choosing the domains I have absolutely no idea!

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Well here are some of my ideas; I know they aren't all over 1000+, but what do you think? See attached image.

Attachments

• 6-8-11-ava.png
    6-8-11-ava.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 21

DavidL

Top Contributor
Remember there are several different ways to make money out of domains..

1 you can buy/register with a view to develop and make money from traffic
2 you can register to just park and choose domains where you might make more than the renal fee
3 you can buy/register domains that are in a growing niche or about to be
4 you can just register or buy domains that slip through the cracks. Like 37.com.au
5 you can exploit differences on the drop .... Kind of arbitrage like Ned getting nlpcourse.com.au
6 if you are naughty you can buy domains because you think you would have a good chance of selling them for a profit. This is called flipping and is against the rules.
7 you can buy domains that have existing links or pagerank and sell links from them

Sure there are many others. The best idea is to do a bit of everything and keep eyes open all the time for good opportunities.

Oh and when looking at search volumes look at cpc too. A domain with 2000 exacts and 5cpc is probably worth more than one with 5000 exacts and 1cpc

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Wow, it's quite a broad area, domaining! I'm thinking (unless I find a ripper domain), just to put a mini-site or something on it? Small, static, a few ads?

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Well I did a search of 2300 domains this morning; only 3 were available and more than 1000+ locals!

What do you guys think?

cargamesonline.com.au - 2400 local exacts
kingsschool.com.au - 1900 " "
newipad.com.au - 3600 " "

paz

You cant use the iPad one.
KingsSchool - cant see how you would monetise.
CarGamesOnline is very average, i'm sure you could make some adsense revenue though.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Yeh, I thought the iPad one might be a bit dangerous. CarGamesOnline, I shall keep that aside as idea #1! Now to find more options :)

Shane

Top Contributor
I'll probably get shot down for this, but if you're set on hand reg rather than buying in the aftermarket, and if you're planning to develop, then I'd consider hyphenated domains.

You'll be able to register much better keywords, and from my experience they're not really any more difficult to rank. The domain will never be worth much, but if you can get the developed domain making a few bucks you can put that towards the purchase of better domains in the aftermarket.

And I have to agree with Paz that the domains you've mentioned so far are not worth registering.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
my humble opinion is that 500 searches a month is ok and that perhaps the most important aspect is how to develop the name , is there an appropriate affiliate program or do i have the skills to build it into something i can charge for ??

Shane

Top Contributor
my humble opinion is that 500 searches a month is ok and that perhaps the most important aspect is how to develop the name , is there an appropriate affiliate program or do i have the skills to build it into something i can charge for ??
For sure.

I have a developed domain with < 300 exacts but it makes $700+ a month. Nothing wrong with that.

The domain is important, but I think there's a lot more value to be found with good development.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I really want to register cargamesonline.com.au - 2400 local exacts, approx CPC $1.98. Or tetrisonline.com.au - 5400 local exacts, $1.37 approx CPC

Last edited:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I really want to register cargamesonline.com.au - 2400 local exacts, approx CPC $1.98. Or tetrisonline.com.au - 5400 local exacts, $1.37 approx CPC

Providing you are not betting your house on it i don't see why not , and although i have some .com.au 'game names' i am of the opinion .com is a better platform for a games site

.......good luck, simple to say if you don't have a go you will never know i guess

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member