What's new

Hmmm... Australian Government Wasting Tax Payer Funds

DNTrade

We have seen a few posts made about direct domain registration applications being made in bulk on behalf of all the Australian Government departments for their respective .au tokens.

Domainer article:
Government Wasting Tax Payer Funds, Front Running, Creating Confusion and Encouraging Scam Websites

Profit article:
auDA Shows Us All How To Profit!

Both focusing and highlighting the mass application of direct .au tokens on contested domains by all departments.

In some cases 10 different Govt departments applied for the same .au domain and done on thousands of different domains, some even applying for both category 1 and Category 2 tokens, when you know that if you apply for Category 1, all Category 2 are no longer in the running... What an absolute waste of tax payer funds in a time when there is record debt and economic uncertainty. The spending of any amount on such domains do not help the Australian public in any way.

You got to ask, what is the benefit of any of these Government departments to own the .au domains that they can not use and will only redirect to their main site.

Instead of encouraging Small Business to flourish with the use of direct .au domain names, instead the lock them up so that they can not be used by anyone.

I hope that someone will petition auDA to review all of these application.

trellian

Top Contributor
I wonder if they even realise that by locking up all these domains that they are effectively reducing the value and adoption of the .au name space. Something that auDA should be seriously considering and checking if any of these applications are even eligible as many of these Government departments are not even in existence or have changed names long ago...

Oz.

Top Contributor
Hah. I noticed this too yesterday. .sa .act .nsw and all around the same time. country wide domains make zero sense for little regional departments. They should stick to .gov. More credibility etc.
It was silly that they were even part of this in the first place. Now the reason is obvious, milk it for all it’s worth.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I don't see the problem here. They're allowed to apply. It's just another contested domain name to me.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member