1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! I'm about to lose a domain name, registered with Namecheap

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Donald, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Donald

Donald Membership: Community

I own a .com.au domain that expires in a couple of days. I've just gone to renew it but Namecheap advised me that .com.au domains must be renewed at least 12 days prior to the actual expiration date.

Namecheap say I need to pay a US$122 fee to "attempt" to renew the domain. They said they can't guarantee the domain renewal will even work. They are blaming their upstream provider, and suggested I let the domain fall back into the public pool and then re-register it. This seems crazy.

2. Donald

Donald Membership: Community

Namecheap support have said I would be able to transfer the domain to VentraIP without paying the $122 fee. Would this be a good idea, or am I likely to encounter a problem?

They said, "We do have the limitation of restoring of a domain name with a fee by a demand of our upstream provider, the transfer process can still be made up to the exact expiration date without limitation, the renewal price and the condition would depend on VentraIP provider."

3. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Probably the first thing is to find out where it is actually registered, (I doubt name cheap would be the actual registrar)

http://whois.auda.ltd

4. Cheyne

Cheyne Membership: Community

Hi Donald,

If the domain name is not expired yet, contact our sales team and they can assist you. As long as you have the EPP we can get it out and renew it for you.