What's new

Hello! I'm a newbie with questions

Toots

Hello Everyone,

I'm a stay at home Mum from SA who is looking for ways to earn an income from home while I raise my kiddies.

I'm looking at developing websites to earn money from through advertising so I hope I'm in the right place?

I'm coming across a few issues. One being the issue with buying a domain name with .com.au.
Do I need an ABN? if so, what's the process to do so for the purpose of earning an income from monetising websites?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any advice for the answers to these questions?

:)

findtim

Top Contributor
welcome toots, this is a great place to learn, using the search function for keywords and then reading the threads you will pickup alot of knowledge on a variety of subjects.

tim

DavidL

Top Contributor
Hi Toots,

Welcome to DNT!

I think that sort of a business is a great idea to do part time. It's low risk, you can teach yourself and it's fun too. However unfortunately you do need an ABN to run an Aussie website.

I'm expect you probably don't want to run off and register a formal business name and ABN etc just to get a website started but unfortunately auDA don't cater for:

start-ups,
microbusinesses,
bloggers,
families,
individuals,
students,
etc.

So you're probably better off getting a .com to be honest. Or 'cheating' and registering the domain in a friend or family's ABN.

Best of luck!

David

PS stick around though as this forum has loads of great info on development, promotion and monetising

findtim

Top Contributor
cheat, fine, but going down the path of a .com i think is unwise ( if you intend to do something local or within australia only). just like going fishing and coming back smelling like bait without a fish.

make the effort and get an abn, you don't have to register for GST so there's no real paperwork, then source a reasonable .com.au htere's still a billion ones available.

create a new thread and list what you are good at and ask for some suggestions on a starting path for you.

tim

Toots

Apparently I'm not entitled to an ABN because I haven't started my business?? I was playing around on the ABR website before. So how do you get started then? How did people here get their .au domains?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Hi Toots,

I think you are fine to register as a sole trader with the intent of starting a business:

Individuals (sole traders)

If you are an individual applying for an ABN, check your entitlement to register here.

You are entitled to an ABN if all of the following statements apply.

Your activity is carried out in the:
form of a business
nature of trade
form of a regular or continuous grant of a lease, licence or interest in property.
Your activity is carried out in Australia or you make supplies that are connected with Australia.
You have a reasonable expectation that a profit will be made from your activity.

http://help.abr.gov.au/BC/Index/Australian_business_number_(ABN)/Is_the_entity_entitled_to_an_ABN_/

DavidL

Top Contributor
cheat, fine, but going down the path of a .com i think is unwise ( if you intend to do something local or within australia only). just like going fishing and coming back smelling like bait without a fish.

Agree entirely, Tim, but there's really no option if you just want to get a little website started and don't want the hassle, time and expense to set up a formal trading company, yearly tax returns etc.

As an Aussie, if you wanted to spend $30 on a domain name, $20 on hosting, install wordpress and start up a website just to see how you go, you should be able to without all that crap.

A friend of mine started up a little part-time home business where she made cakes for kids birthdays. It was a tiny business, a few hours a week - just word of mouth type stuff and she made a few bucks here and there in cash.

However she did want to put pics of her previous cakes on a website to show what she could do but, yet again, .au failed to give any options (please don't make me laugh saying she could have registered cakes.id.au!!)

It's really quite embarrassing that Australia doesn't cater for 90% of it's population in terms of domains.

Just Google "personal blog" and choose Australia Only and you'll see the overwhelming majority of Australian bloggers use gTLDs.

findtim

Top Contributor
there's a lot of "backyard" businesses using facebook only

but now we are stealing the thread :eek:

toots start a new thread in general so the conversation can continue for you.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member