What's new

harvey norman TVC

findtim

Top Contributor
HN obvious think that a website link isn't important in a TVC, they have an ad now that the link is visiable at the end for @ 1 sec MAX

HTML:
harveynorman.com.au/promos/colours

OK, yes i picked it up but i'm looking for things like this and the everyday person isn't.

can't wait for the next advert with the link
HTML:
harveynorman.com.au/refrigerators/february/fisherandpaykel/sale

i suppose HN can get away with it ?

still a waste and silly marketing to me

tim

James

Top Contributor
Some marketing teams do not think logically, they just do what ever to get the tasks done. When I consulted for big brands, I always tried to advise people on how best to link in tvcs some times you talk on deaf ears.

James

Top Contributor
They have 10,000 pages listed under - www.harveynorman.com.au/promos

So it could be anything and 2,000 pages list "colours" from the 10k.

You would think they would make it "easy"

nt81

Top Contributor
Fail company is bound to fail.

While everyone else is making hay while the sun shines on the <$1000 GST import exemption rules, Harvey Normal drew negative attention to it when they could have been exploiting it to their own benefit just like everyone else.

Hardly Normal are a dinosaur company who I would never expect to do anything "online" well at all. Welcome back to the 1970's!

Personally, I can't wait until they become extinct.

findtim

Top Contributor
I bought a washing machine off them last year and they price matched the best online price we found ( exact model ), threw it into the back of my car and I didn't pay the enormous online freight charge.

and YES, it was bloody heavy

so HN do have a place in retail , and YES you can get smaller items cheaper online.

bottom line for me is " I like them sometimes and not other times "

tim

James

Top Contributor
Fail company is bound to fail.

While everyone else is making hay while the sun shines on the <$1000 GST import exemption rules, Harvey Normal drew negative attention to it when they could have been exploiting it to their own benefit just like everyone else.

Hardly Normal are a dinosaur company who I would never expect to do anything "online" well at all. Welcome back to the 1970's!

Personally, I can't wait until they become extinct.

I think Harvey Norman still does very well in the all the regional areas of Australia. As they are the only supplier in those areas. So people really only have 1 options. Most online suppliers will usually only ship to CBD areas where Harvey will target the regional hubs heavily. Smaller items you have a far more diverse buying power.

Also I agree they could have targeted the online buying far better, the thing is they just do it to make things harder for every one else and keep their monopoly they have.

That been said Harvey normal still does well in online, I have talked to execs their they do big product movements from EDM and other online methods they just don't like to "promote" the success of online.

nt81

Top Contributor
Apologies, it was a personal rant, not entirely based on fact.

I just don't like the guy. He could market his business so much better if he wasn't stuck in the 70's and (eventually) causing issues for people who want to buy small parcels from overseas. Looks like the current GovCo will be having a very hefty look at the $1000 limit one way or the other now.

Price match or not, I have supported his competitors recently, buying / financing a several thousand of dollars worth of white goods and furniture from *anyone else* other than Hardly Normal.

findtim

Top Contributor
I just don't like the guy.

i think if you look deeper you will find its not him in control of everything, so its not ALL about him and to my knowledge hasn't been for MANYYYYY years ( @ 20+ is my guess )

tim

nt81

Top Contributor
It has his name stamped on it, he was the one that went to the media and did the damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-oD3miJy0

Harvey Norman said:

Local retailers disadvantaged
Put tax on foreign online sales - Gerry Harvey
No duty for online overseas products under $1000
THE Federal Government should place a good and services tax (GST) on products bought from overseas online retailers, Harvey Norman chief executive Gerry Harvey says.
Mr Harvey said local retailers were at an "unfair disadvantage" in competing against goods bought from overseas.
Australians can buy goods online from overseas and not pay duty for products under $1000.

"The fact that people say ... it is too hard - that is bulls--t" Mr Harvey said in a response to a question at the company's annual general meeting in Sydney today.

"Other countries do it. We can do it."

Mr Harvey said the Federal Government wasn't addressing the problem.

"We have spoken to a number of politicians and their answer is 'it's too hard'," he said.

"'It is too much to collect. We'll upset the voters because they vote for us'.

"You are going to forgo about $1 billion in one year in tax, that is the GST they are going to lose in one year because this thing has escalated because of the parity."

The appreciation in the Australian dollar against the US currency has made buying goods more attractive for domestic shoppers.

Since June 30, the Australian dollar has appreciated around 15.6 per cent against the US unit.

"This is a huge, huge problem," Mr Harvey said.

"If you are in retail selling those sort of goods, you are severely disadvantaged."

However, online sales from overseas had little effect on Harvey Norman, Mr Harvey said.

findtim

Top Contributor
yeh, yeh, old news, so what is YOUR solution?

i'm not sure if you are employed or self employed but do you either want to get a 10% pay cut or drop your price by 10% so you can fit in with the global online market?

i'm not defending him, just being real i think, ask yourself WHY the same bottle of coca cola costs different prices in different countries? ......... tax, labor, fuel, location etc

all i am saying is it isn't his fault, but he did have the balls to bring up the conversation and based on your comments its actually the government you should be hassling as they had a choice as well, tax or no tax and they seem to be choosing tax

tim

Offtap

To be honest - as an online retailer importing from overseas - the local retailers and online retailers only have themselves to blame.

In one particular niche clothing market we were actually able to buy, import, sell and deliver most of our products cheaper than the "local exclusive distributor" could even wholesale the exact product. This isn't a knock off product - its the exact same product bought directly from the same manufacturer.

There is only one reason for this and its greed.

findtim

Top Contributor
To be honest - as an online retailer importing from overseas - the local retailers and online retailers only have themselves to blame.

In one particular niche clothing market we were actually able to buy, import, sell and deliver most of our products cheaper than the "local exclusive distributor" could even wholesale the exact product. This isn't a knock off product - its the exact same product bought directly from the same manufacturer.

There is only one reason for this and its greed.

BULLSH!T, did you pay shopfront rent, staff, superannuation, sick pay, holiday pay etccccc

thats a throw away statement you made, YES it can be sold and delivered cheaper but to claim its based on GREED is rubbish.

i've owned a retail store and had staff and i can tell you when you do the cost of business P&L you are only making as much or less then an imported item sent to your door as a net profit BUT you have all the other worries.

an online store doesn't have to make $6K a month to cover cost BEFORE the owner gets a cent, and that is costs for small country town retail.

online will take over many aspects of purchasing but please don't label it GREED unless you have been there.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member