What's new

Google's Frankenstein Update

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the latest evolution of the Google Places listings into the main results.

I have one website in particular that has always been a clear #1 for natural search AND a clear #1 for Google Places. The website is the main website for a national company with a 50 year history and offices in every state.

Now, instead of holding the natural #1 Google has modified the listing into a Search/Places hybrid (Frankenstein) listing which ranks lower down below some poor quality sites and even a PDF which now ranks #1 :confused:.

Looking at the results, I expect it will only be a temporary change but perhaps someone else is experiencing a similar issue.

James

Top Contributor
Interesting case that is for sure, If this specific PDF is still ranking in two weeks I would roll out your own version of the PDF to combat it.

The PDF in question does have some positives working for it:

- It has around 6 external links.
- It is quite detailed and related to the keywords in question.
- The root level domain for the PDF is quite strong, its also internally linked.

Some negatives:

- It is a piece of content from 2010 so that does not make sense in terms of freshness.
- Its interesting why they are ranking a PDF over a website, clearly Google feels that this is what they should be showing users for some outlandish reason.

But that been said recently for a VERY highly competitive term a new website blog post was ranking from 2010, this piece of content was "Tips for the specific keyword" Google randomly decided to show this result for around 2 weeks in position 5 and then it was removed.

So report back in 2 weeks and see if this pdf is still here.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo