What's new

Google Pushing Button Via AdSense?

payattention

Archived Member
I felt duped as I still use the old interface. I changed to the new one (had to in order to read the message) and it's not an important message at all; just self promotion!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I felt duped as I still use the old interface. I changed to the new one (had to in order to read the message) and it's not an important message at all; just self promotion!
Yeah but it's not often that you will see Google opt for self promotion and leverage other products to promote new ones.

It seems they are pushing this a lot harder than wave or buzz. They really want this feature to gain traction.

James

Top Contributor
Google reps at work pretty much said they want to get this out onto as many website as possible.

I think +1's will be great...when the general public picks them up...

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think +1's will be great...when the general public picks them up...
You make it sound like the general public "will" start using it... what makes you so sure it will catch on?

EDIT: Just for fun I had a look at the top 10 sites that rank for SEO in Australia and of them none of them had the +1 button on their homepage. On their blogs (the majority of SEO companies have blogs) only one had the +1 button installed, but most had the facebook like feature and even a few had a twitter sharing button.

In short - adoption of the +1 button has been very slow, and if the best in the business aren't using it yet, your average webmaster, let alone the general public won't be using it any time soon.

Last edited:

payattention

Archived Member
I tried +1 on a site that gets a lot of Likes.. I didn't get a single +1. My thinking is that just about everyone has a Facebook account and is always logged in.. not many people have a Google account in comparison.

James

Top Contributor
You make it sound like the general public "will" start using it... what makes you so sure it will catch on?

EDIT: Just for fun I had a look at the top 10 sites that rank for SEO in Australia and of them none of them had the +1 button on their homepage. On their blogs (the majority of SEO companies have blogs) only one had the +1 button installed, but most had the facebook like feature and even a few had a twitter sharing button.

In short - adoption of the +1 button has been very slow, and if the best in the business aren't using it yet, your average webmaster, let alone the general public won't be using it any time soon.

The top australian seo companies live in the past, to them spamming 100s of client site footers with links is a strategy that still works. I agree +1 is having a slow up take but google has what 1 billion unique visitors a month they can push it how they like.

Start looking at what us companies are doing like huff post and mashable..

Regards

paz

Google reps at work pretty much said they want to get this out onto as many website as possible.

What a scoop...

In other news Bing is hoping to get as many searchers using their engine as possible.

:D Just playing!

smee

Top Contributor
Google +1 is not about relevance, it's about popularity.

How long before a website sells +1's?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
How long before a website sells +1's?
LOL as long as it takes for websites to actually start getting clicks on their button.

At this stage you only need one click in most niches to differentiate yourself from your competitors.

:p

Ordering for your button to be clicked would take longer than just clicking it yourself.

James

Top Contributor
What a scoop...

In other news Bing is hoping to get as many searchers using their engine as possible.

:D Just playing!

Yeah Google employees don't give out much at all, only point I am making is they want to push it to as many sites as possible to counter FB shares/likes..

Shane

Top Contributor
I've put it on a few of my pages, and clicked on the button myself of course.

I really can't see this taking off. Why click on the +1 button when you get nothing in return? I understand Facebook like buttons because you actually want it to show on your Facebook profile, but +1 I just don't get...

Doesn't mean I won't try it though.

jam

Top Contributor
I really can't see this taking off. Why click on the +1 button when you get nothing in return? I understand Facebook like buttons because you actually want it to show on your Facebook profile, but +1 I just don't get...

It will integrate with Google+ for sure you would think. Will be interesting to see once it goes public and how the +1 button fits in with it.

Shane

Top Contributor
I noticed this morning that one of my favourite websites (autosport.com) has now implemented the +1 button.

There's a new story from last night that has the following stats:

4 Linkedin shares
5 Google +1s
68 Tweets
77 Facebook likes

Twitter and Facebook are predictably way ahead, but it's interesting to see that 5 people have already hit the +1 button within a few hours of publication, and more people have hit the +1 button that the Linkedin share button.

Most of the recent stories have at least a few +1s, so people are definitely using it, albeit in limited numbers at this early stage.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Most of the recent stories have at least a few +1s, so people are definitely using it, albeit in limited numbers at this early stage.
My take on the button is that, I won't have to be clicked more than the liked button, it will just have to be clicked enough that Google can reliably differentiate between good and bad content.

;)

Link

We had +1 on one of our sites, but took it down after a few weeks. Until there is some more traction with the +1 button, we'd rather not clutter the social media options. We're happy at the moment if the Facebook 'like' is the opt-in social media option for our site visitors.

It will integrate with Google+ for sure you would think. Will be interesting to see once it goes public and how the +1 button fits in with it.

But I think Jam is right - the +1 will take on new meaning and influence once Google+ is launched. I watched some demos of it and it looks like Google might have a decent offering this time. But making any indents in the FB market share isn't going to be easy.

Interesting times ahead!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members