What's new

Google Joins MYOB to give out free .com.au websites

James

Top Contributor
Last edited:

Billy01

Top Contributor
Uk

They have been doing this in the UK for the last couple os years attracting SEM's. No real innovation we're just not awear of the rest of the world.

Honan

Top Contributor
http://learningcentre.myobatlas.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

After the first 12 months, a monthly subscription charge of $5 per month (inclusive of GST) is payable by you to use the MYOB Atlas Service.
This monthly charge will be applied in accordance with these Terms.

Thay say you cannot sell the domain name
Then they say if you cancel the service you can transfer for free to another registrar

payattention

Archived Member
I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure how great the uptake will be. A lot of small business owners are just not interested in developing a strong online presence.

On a related note, Google has another program named Engage which gives you a $100 Adwords voucher per business you sign up to the Adwords program. I'd much rather promote that to a local business than a website otherwise organic rankings will begin to require effort to maintain top spots :)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
This will possibly drive up domain rates for good domains?
Probably more likely just to degree the number of shit domains being dropped in 24 months time.

:D

And any one offering mini websites could be hurt, but the designs are super cheap, white back ground and logo with maps location.
If you are just offering minisite design services maybe, but no doubt there will still be a need for website marketing.

At the end of the day the real value to a businesses being online is obtaining customers this requires marketing. So I imagine any loss of business from the design side will be made up for in the marketing side.

djuqa

Top Contributor
I do offer Minisites or mini Websites and I am not worried.
Why? Well the offer is for only 1 domain/website and only to promote that business directly.
10mb free hosting for a year which is NOT a lot.
Plain as DogCrap template.
Little scope for expansion.
Some promotion with Free Adwords

OK maybe I will get one myself to promote my REAL minisites and Premium Minisites.

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
I do offer Minisites or mini Websites and I am not worried.
Why? Well the offer is for only 1 domain/website and only to promote that business directly.
10mb free hosting for a year which is NOT a lot.
Plain as DogCrap template.
Little scope for expansion.
Some promotion with Free Adwords

OK maybe I will get one myself to promote my REAL minisites and Premium Minisites.

Yeah I said their designs are poor quality...

So yeah market for you for sure...But yeah will be interesting to see if this takes off I wonder how the UK one did?

Ben

I'm baaaack + Dig a little deeper!!

It's NOT free, it's $66 for the .com.au renewal, also $5 per month after 12 months for the service + payment details required, so this isn't free at all. $126 for 2 years service and a renewal = $378 for 4 years service and a renewal. Not to mention a shitty site that WILL NOT RANK IN GOOGLE for anything major. Go ahead, get a real website, or pay Google for ADWORDS for BUSINESS to your website forever.

Interesting example of domain name as well, rhythm-link.com.au - OWNED BY MYOB, so it requires a 'Change of Registrant' and is registered to MYOB as a REGISTRAR, wonder what they charge to reset the ABN details and do a proper 'Change Of Registrant' with AUDA on paper?

Interesting that Tim Anderson already owns rhythmlink.com.au, uses it for his email and the 'little me' photography business isn't using MYOB as a registrar. Not to mention the fact that she only ranks in Google for 'baby portraits mona vale' not 'baby portraits' as their fantastic advert might have you believe.

Another bait and switch by the infamous Google, sure to confuse the average tightassed Aussie. Fish in a barrel.

payattention

Archived Member
You can pay $19.95 for a .com.au and still not rank for any keywords either so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Adwords is awesome for testing and is ideal for small businesses who don't want to spend a couple thousand (if not more) on an SEO campaign but want to get a few runs on the board quickly.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member