What's new

Google interpretations

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi all - two queries - looking for some assistance please.

Can anyone tell me what 6.0 (any figure shown as .0) means in the search queries section of Google Wemaster tools in the ave. position and/or change columns. I thought it may have meant for example 6.0 being 6 individual ranking places, i.e. less than 10 so shown as 2 digits with a decimal point but that doesn't ring true as far as I can see in some of my results. Does it stand for page maybe? Double/triple digits without decimal points are actual ranking position (ave. / change) but the decimal point has me baffled.

Also, it appears that Google does not recognize a keyword under at least 3 characters as far as I can tell - I am looking for some validation here or if wrong then advice to that effect.

For those of you who know me (or know of me :eek:) you know I have a couple of 3D sites and my main keyword is 3D (this is rocket science stuff :D) and the second tier keyword for a couple of my sites is TV. In Google Webmaster stats for keywords neither 3D nor TV get a mention at all - el zippo. Now Google is obviously picking up the phrase 3D TV in searches to be able to rank my sites - I have 3 of them ranked on page 1 - search term "best 3D TV" using Google AU, pages from Australia - so the keywords I have nominated are being picked up in a phrase it seems but not recognized as singular words. Does that sound right to you guys?

I know you can seasrch 3D and TV separately in Adwords keyword tool so it has me a little puzzled - not that it matters in the scheme of things but it is bugging me a little.

Any ideas ?

Honan

Top Contributor
I think I understand your questions
Maybe not though
You are in the dashboard of webmaster tools and you have chosen a domain name that you own. Yes?
Against that name there are details of search queries
See http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=96568&hl=en
and
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35252

6.0 is an average position of your site or page on the search of the key word on the left
It looks to me like they use a decimal point if the average position is less than 10
You don't see words like TV because nobody searched on TV and clicked through to your site
It is suggested that google analytics installed on your site/s will give more accurate data

Honan

Top Contributor
Joining the help forum "google webmaster central", linked on the right on your dashboard in help, was very profitable for me
Just today some Australian asks "why aren't I indexed?"
He got the most comprehensive response including the steps he should take

shags38

Top Contributor

Corey - see Joes response below - I think he has nailed it. but not sure - I do use insights when I am looking for trends on keywords. This query is a case of looking at my own stats in Google Webmaster Tools and trying to figure what a ranking which includes a decimal point means, e.g. a ranking of 6.0 or a change of -3.0 ??, as compared to other numbers shown that are in excess of ten (10) which I know are actual (average) ranking positions by unit number not page, e.g. 119 = page 12 number 9 given that there are 10 results per page. That part is easy but what does 6.0 mean for example, does it mean "page" 6 or does it mean position 6, or in the case of "change" does -6.0 mean a drop of 6 places or 6 pages??

WG2010

Archived Member
I wouldn't even pay attention to that part of webmaster tools, I have numerous #1's that it says rank on average 10-50.

Here is an example for a keyword that is #1.

shags38

Top Contributor
I think I understand your questions
Maybe not though
You are in the dashboard of webmaster tools and you have chosen a domain name that you own. Yes?
Against that name there are details of search queries
See http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=96568&hl=en
and
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35252

6.0 is an average position of your site or page on the search of the key word on the left
It looks to me like they use a decimal point if the average position is less than 10
You don't see words like TV because nobody searched on TV and clicked through to your site
It is suggested that google analytics installed on your site/s will give more accurate data

Joe, yes it is looking at my stats for my site(s) but it isn't in "search queries" that 3D and TV are not shown, it is in "KeyWords" within Webmaster Tools under your site on the web, then keywords which then as a sub heading explanation "these are the most common keywords Google crawlers detected when crawling your site and these should reflect the subject matter of your site". The "words" (and this is the point, does Google recognize these as words in this data response as they are only 2 characters) 3D and TV are by far and away the most common keywords in the sites in question, by a long way but do not show in the results of the most common keywords detected - hence I can only assume that Google algorithms do not recognize 2 characters as a word for the purpose of keywords?

Does anyone know if this is the case or not? The reason it would be helpful to know is that the words showing up in 1st and 2nd position are not the focus of my keyword strategy BUT should they be if Google is saying they are the most populous in their eyes???

Joe, I tried the Google Forum for the question of the decimal point ranking scenario about 6 weeks ago and am still waiting for someone to respond :(. It is not a critical thing but it is puzzling.

cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
I wouldn't even pay attention to that part of webmaster tools, I have numerous #1's that it says rank on average 10-50.

Here is an example for a keyword that is #1.

Thanks General for your response - In your own example above what does -7.0 mean? if you know then that was what I was asking :D (not were the figures accurate :), because I think we all know from experience that they can be very close indeed or way off the mark depending on whether the guy counting up all the votes was having a bad day or a good day :) :))

I figure it means a drop o 7 individual places however in th ave. positio column when the decimal point number is shown I think it stands for pages? would that be right in your opinion?

Also, any thoughts on the other query ?? 2 characters keywords bla bla bla .... ???

cheers,
Mike

Honan

Top Contributor
It appears that when google reports an average position it displays a decimal point for numbers less than 10
It is average position not page
I got no idea why Google is not counting TV and 3d as keywords in the text of your site

WG2010

Archived Member
Thanks General for your response - In your own example above what does -7.0 mean? if you know then that was what I was asking :D (not were the figures accurate :), because I think we all know from experience that they can be very close indeed or way off the mark depending on whether the guy counting up all the votes was having a bad day or a good day :) :))

I figure it means a drop o 7 individual places however in th ave. positio column when the decimal point number is shown I think it stands for pages? would that be right in your opinion?

Also, any thoughts on the other query ?? 2 characters keywords bla bla bla .... ???

cheers,
Mike

In this example, the rank for this keyword has been #1 for at least 6 months. I have no idea how they are computing this data to suggest I'm down 7.0

Why are you using this data anyway? It's so way off the mark or not understandable (at least for me) that I'd use analytics instead if you're looking for extra keywords to target.

shags38

Top Contributor
In this example, the rank for this keyword has been #1 for at least 6 months. I have no idea how they are computing this data to suggest I'm down 7.0 Why are you using this data anyway? It's so way off the mark or not understandable (at least for me) that I'd use analytics instead if you're looking for extra keywords to target.

General ????????????? Do you read the posts or do you read what you think is written?what does 7.0 mean ??? in your above statement - THAT IS THE QUESTION - you are down 7.0, sorry to hear that but is 7.0 seven places or seven pages - read the post again???? if you do not know then say - I do not know :)

Please read the post and then respond accordingly, not with what you interpret was the question , a second time in this thread your response is in the same suburb but a totally different street - you do this a lot, not that you want to hear it but you do. I have no interest in finding extra keywords, where did you read that? Why I am using the data is of little consequence to the queries, the queries are asking if anyone knows what they mean?? :) - pretty simple really.

have a nice day ;)

cheers,
Mike :)

WG2010

Archived Member
Perhaps if you didn't construct your posts on par with a kindergarten kid, I would be able to reply to your post in the manner you would like.

Whatever the data means, it doesn't matter; non issue. Get busy with something else.

shags38

Top Contributor
Perhaps if you didn't construct your posts on par with a kindergarten kid, I would be able to reply to your post in the manner you would like.

Whatever the data means, it doesn't matter; non issue. Get busy with something else.

Why so ..... (biting tongue here)? it matters to me that is why I posted in the first place ....... there you go again, interpreting as you see things :D.

When you did graduate (assumption) why did you not repeat the comprehension component of English - it really makes life easier when you actually understand what you have read :D - Joe got it.

So General - please chill ;)

cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

WG2010

Archived Member
Why so ..... (biting tongue here)? it matters to me that is why I posted in the first place ....... there you go again, interpreting as you see things :D.

When you did graduate (assumption) why did you not repeat the comprehension component of English - it really makes life easier when you actually understand what you have read :D - Joe got it.

So General - please chill ;)

cheers,
Mike

So why not share why you want to know and how you're using the data? You know, it might add to the conversation instead of resorting to childish tit for tats; I hope when I'm near 60 years of age that I don't carry on in the same manner. Then again, I'd probably be bitter too if I lost my retirement on http://www.burnedmysuperon3ddomains.com.au

WG2010

Archived Member
But not all TV sellers are buying into the 3D hype. Ruslan Kogan, who competes with the big TV makers through his online store, Kogan.com.au, has so far resisted the new technology.

"The statistics released show how many Australians bought TVs that happen to have a 3D feature. What it doesn't represent is how many Australians bought TVs because they had a 3D feature," he said.

"People are not buying these TVs because of 3D technology. This demand simply does not exist because there is little to no 3D content."

shags38

Top Contributor
General - the quote from Kogan - it was intended to show what? - show that he is just as smart as every other person on the planet? Everything in the quote is absolutely 100% spot on - it is also such common knowledge that it was in the Tibetan Daily Mail 4 months ago !! (page 3, top left, next to the page 3 Oxen - their cencorship laws prevent them from having page 3 girlies).

I will also repeat what I said earlier about Kogan - it is Chinese product and your Mr Kogan could not market 3D TV at present even if it was the biggest thing since sliced bread because he cannot get the product :) Maybe read some other more authoratative authors on the subject of 3D and broaden your insight :).

Kogan has been and will continue to be very successful at what it does as it fills a market segment need, and I mean that sincerely as I have just joined their affiliate program so I can share in some of their success :)

The fact is 3D Television has stalled DRAMATICALLY (call it a flop if you will however it is not a permanent flop) for a number of reasons the main one being lack of available content (the cart came before the horse in this case) however it is only one of a number of determining factors. I won't bother to go into what the other factors are at present as you will be able to read it in absolute fine detail when I publish my article on the subject. Internet searches for 3D Television across a number of search terms have declined globally consistently over the past 6 months or more from a peak in JANUARY - the decline in the U.S.A. has been in the vicinity of 60% plus (please pass the tissues someone :) ). But hey, the Wright Brothers only flew 16 metres in their first attempt :)

Am I an expert on the subject ?? - no indeed not !!!, however I do think I am reasonably up to speed on the subject of where 3D Consumer Electronics is at present (including the situation with 3D TV) and what the future trends are projected to be (and before you cut in on this, whatever the future predictions are they are just that, predictions not facts).

Now do me a favor General - get off the 3D attack track - I am over it so you should also try to come to grips with it :) We all know you don't have any faith in 3D and that is your right to harbour that opinion however it is also the right of others to have a contrary opinion - and just another reminder - THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT 3D !!! yes I was shouting, did you hear it this time?

I look forward to future discussions with you that do not include 3D :) (that is unless of course it is a subject on which you are also an expert in which case I may pass)

cheers,
Mike

WG2010

Archived Member
In the interest of maintaining a quality forum, I won't be discussing the issue any further with you (or anyone else for that matter).

Let's agree to quit the childish antics and just move on. I gave you an on topic reply and it derailed from that point going forward. If you would prefer, I won't reply to any of your posts.

shags38

Top Contributor
In the interest of maintaining a quality forum, I won't be discussing the issue any further with you (or anyone else for that matter).

Let's agree to quit the childish antics and just move on. I gave you an on topic reply and it derailed from that point going forward. If you would prefer, I won't reply to any of your posts.

Nice post General - heartfelt - the last sentence was a real heart tugger :) ;) :D :p :rolleyes:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo