What's new

Google Granted Patent for Identifying Exact Match Domain Type

johnsee

The patent describes a number of possible steps that it might take to identify commercial queries.

The first step may be to obtain a list of user queries, and it might limit that list to keep it manageable. An example from the patent tells us that it might “retrieve those stored search queries that occur at least once per 100 million queries.” That could potentially limit the list to a few million or billion queries.

The next step might be to collect a list of phrases or keywords of interest to advertisers or webmasters or both. That can include phrases and keywords used in advertising or phrases/keywords used in meta tags.

A list of domain names that contain 2 or more hyphens might be gathered as well. We’re told in the patent that:

It is very common to see domain names that include a single hyphen, but when two, three, or more hyphens are present, this is often an indication that these domain names are associated with companies that are attempting to trick search engines into ranking their web pages more highly.

Full Article:
http://www.seobythesea.com/2011/10/...ain-name-patent-detecting-commercial-queries/

--

Some good insights in this one. Took a long time for it to be granted though!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Interesting...

More SEO jobs to come
I don't know about that - SEO is becoming more like walking through a minefield.

With all the Panda updates I suspect it won't be long until many SEOs will be spend more time "hoping" than "link building"...

And business people don't tend to pay for "maybe" improve your rankings.

johnsee

Interesting...

I don't know about that - SEO is becoming more like walking through a minefield.

With all the Panda updates I suspect it won't be long until many SEOs will be spend more time "hoping" than "link building"...

I completely disagree. There is more and more work for the "good" guys (be they black, grey or white hat) and less work for those that just added people to a bunch of directories.

Add this to Matt Cutt's recent comments about why SEO's are good, the industry is looking up, not down IMO

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Interesting...

Ten seo experts, they can't all get you top spot .......can they ?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member