What's new

Google changes last night

Shane

Top Contributor
Did anyone else experience some ranking changes last night?

My main business site lost a heap of its number 1 rankings (generally down to 3rd or 4th position) and for one of its really big terms it dropped from page 2 to page 10.

Really hoping it's not a sign of things to come...

bunstar

Top Contributor
Haven't noticed anything myself.. but i'm bracing myself for the impending Penguin 2.0.

I might need to cancel that holiday lol

Matt C indicated that they took down a major blog network? If you used that method of ranking you might have been affected.

helloworld

Top Contributor
1 site was hit hard. lost 12 first page rankings. Still trying to figure out why

*edit. On closer inspection the rankings related to 2 word terms. long tails are still in tact

Shane

Top Contributor
My rankings are still down.

It hasn't affected traffic too much since I have hundreds of terms which generate traffic, but these were my best ones.

I've used seomoz to find some dodgy links placed by an SEO agency a few years back, and I've emailed those sites requesting they be taken down.

I've also de-optimised some of the key phrases in question, so hopefully that will help.

My main concern is that this is a sign of things to come and that I will be hit hard with Penguin 2.0. But in saying that, my site is extremely clean compared to the sites which have moved ahead of me, so who knows...

bunstar

Top Contributor
Thanks for the update. Hmmm maybe they've implemented penguin 2.0 on a subset of search queries to analyse the results. I've been doing some reading on forums all over the place and some people have seen big drops, but not a huge amount of people.

CyberClick

Top Contributor
I'm only seeing 1 really old website I haven't touched in 5 years dropping. Every chance it will appear again in the next few days if recent weeks are anything to go by.

James

Top Contributor
My rankings are still down.

It hasn't affected traffic too much since I have hundreds of terms which generate traffic, but these were my best ones.

I've used seomoz to find some dodgy links placed by an SEO agency a few years back, and I've emailed those sites requesting they be taken down.

I've also de-optimised some of the key phrases in question, so hopefully that will help.

My main concern is that this is a sign of things to come and that I will be hit hard with Penguin 2.0. But in saying that, my site is extremely clean compared to the sites which have moved ahead of me, so who knows...

Send me the site if you want I will take a quick look too see if I can spot any thing.

Shane

Top Contributor
I got most of my #1 rankings back this morning.

The site that had moved temporarily into #1 has now dropped to #3 or #4 in most cases.

Lots of reports around the web that Penguin 2.0 has landed...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo