What's new

Golf Course

Chris.C

Top Contributor
It's $1750 now...

Does it have the potential to make the top 10?

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
Interesting not many gold domains come up for sale, but when they do they go for big $$$ I know its hard to compare but www.Golf.tv in 2003 scored - $600,000

Chris.C

Top Contributor
With it already at $2501 you'd think it'd have a good chance of getting to the $5000+ mark.

James

Top Contributor
easy, golf member ships are like 10k + to some clubs....even shitty clubs they are like 1k

snoopy

Top Contributor
www.Golf.tv in 2003 scored - $600,000

A lot of the "reported sales" from the late 90's/early 2000's were not genuine, this is one of them. I believe it was sold to a domainer at that time, but not for that kind of money.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
$7,777 in the end.

That's quite a hefty price. I'll be interested to see what it's developed into.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Would say the plural is stronger than the singular, nice one.

I'm surprised at how low some of the search stats are with the new google tool, 720 for "golf course", would have guessed higher.

soj

Founder
Wouldn't you get more for Yarra Bend Golf Course, or Brighton Golf Course, and searches like that than just "golf course". The only reason I think someone would search just "golf course" would be to find out what a golf course is...

DomainNames

Top Contributor
"Golf Course" is far more valuable than Yarra Bend Golf Course, or Brighton Golf Course. The problem with limiting your generic domain name by adding a "location" greatly devalues it to the whole market.

Im not interested in Yarra Bend Golf Course or Brighton Golf Course but I am interested in a website called "Golf Course" if its a portal for all golf courses or a great branding name for a major golf course to use in addition to its own name.

I note many domainers here going crazy buying hyphenated names, long keyword names and .net .au names etc. I think maybe they need to realise they might be over stretching the value of those investments to anyone else, search engines or in fact to anyone doing " type ins" using generic words

No one "types in" .net and no one types in hyphenated words. "Type ins" still account for massive amounts of traffic and value.

A "generic word" is always the best investment and of most value. One word is best, 2 words second best, 3 words third best and 4+ words useless and of no value!

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
No one "types in" .net and no one types in hyphenated words. "Type ins" still account for massive amounts of traffic and value.

Aside from typos when was the last time you heard of someone buying a .com.au because of type in traffic? .com.au's with type in traffic is a very limited market.

snoopy

Top Contributor
btw: agree generally on avoiding .net.au and hyphens, not for type in traffic reasons, but due to these names being confusing, hard to remember and looking 2nd rate.

Timmy

Banned
GolfCourse.com.au/Brighton
GolfCourse.com.au/Yarra-Bend

For the win...

Phrase volumes are more important with generics, and if used right are indeed cat-killers.

Structure the .net.au the same way and you have the same chance of ranking imo.

soj

Founder
"Golf Course" is far more valuable than Yarra Bend Golf Course, or Brighton Golf Course. The problem with limiting your generic domain name by adding a "location" greatly devalues it to the whole market.

Im not interested in Yarra Bend Golf Course or Brighton Golf Course but I am interested in a website called "Golf Course" if its a portal for all golf courses or a great branding name for a major golf course to use in addition to its own name.

I was talking about searches specifically for "Yarra Bend Golf Course" and "Brighton Golf Course", as you would never get a search for "Yarra Bend Golf Courses". Not the domain yarrabendgolfcourse.com.au being better than golfcourse.com.au

Which was in response to Snoopy's comment of the plural being stronger than the singular.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Would this be the best way to do it?

golfcourse.com.au/Yarra_Bend_Golf_Course
or
golfcourse.com.au/Yarra-Bend-Golf-Course

golfcourse.com.au/Brighton_Golf_Course
or
golfcourse.com.au/Brighton-Golf-Course

If they do this for all the golf courses they should see some incredible results in search engines and perhaps even charge those courses for 1 page profile minisites with the url ( not done much anymore but still profitable to some extent from end users who like it)

Chris.C

Top Contributor

or

or
golfcourse.com.au/Brighton-Golf-Course)
I'd opt for:

golfcourse.com.au/yarra-bend-golf-course

Once upon a time Google was unable to distinguish the underscore character as representing a space between keywords, whereas they could interpret a dash as an alternative for a space between words. I'm not sure if this is still the case (Google may have found a fix) but the conventional SEO wisdom these days is to opt for dashes.

Last edited:

Timmy

Banned

or

or
golfcourse.com.au/Brighton-Golf-Course

If they do this for all the golf courses they should see some incredible results in search engines and perhaps even charge those courses for 1 page profile minisites with the url ( not done much anymore but still profitable to some extent from end users who like it)

Underscores and hyphens are both recognized, however imo hyphens are easier to read.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member