What's new

GoDaddy enters the .com.au space

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Nice to see some more competition in the .com.au registration / transfer space

Godaddy.com is offering some great .com.au prices. It also may open up selling viathe godaddy aftermarket for many .com.au holders as another choice instead of those currently available

Hope they also get involved as auda members

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Amazed to see that Godaddy.com.au doesn't point to them - in fact it appears to registered by another company.

Andrew

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
It also may open up selling viathe godaddy aftermarket for many .com.au holders as another choice instead of those currently available

Godaddy are the major reseller of aftermarket domains, and a major source of our sales in com/net/org. It would be very interesting to see them get involved in the au aftermarket - and good news for all au portfolio owners if it happened.

Andrew

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Godaddy are the major reseller of aftermarket domains, and a major source of our sales in com/net/org. It would be very interesting to see them get involved in the au aftermarket - and good news for all au portfolio owners if it happened.
I saw that they charge 30% for their service though...

:cool:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Who cares if it works!
You're not wrong.

;)

Shame for the domain buyer though... they could get a 30% discount if they went direct.

That said, I do like how buyers can buy the domain there on the spot without negotiating or anything. I imagine that means a lot to quite a few buyers.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
I saw that they charge 30% for their service though...

:cool:

Hi Chris,

That's for their premium sales channel (instant transfer, domain has to be registered at Godaddy).

Their Domain Auctions are open to domains not registered at Godaddy for which they charge 10% - link

Both types of listing appear in the registration path - and Godaddy gets a LOT of SME customers.

I'm not saying they will, as ultimately the au market is relatively small, but if they replicate the same services in the au space it would be a game changer.

Andrew

DavidL

Top Contributor
...I'm not saying they will, as ultimately the au market is relatively small, but if they replicate the same services in the au space it would be a game changer...

Really? I don't think so. They are huge globally but really not that big in Australia where it counts for .au. No good having 100m people see a .au domain for sale if they are ineligible to purchase.

They need to replicate their market share in Australia first before their services will become 'game changers' IMO.

And that's going to be hard with expensive regos, unknown CORs and not even having their own .au domain!

Saying all that, I hope they do!!

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
They need to replicate their market share in Australia first before their services will become 'game changers' IMO.

IMO If they want the market, they will have it. They didn't get to be the number 1 registrar in the world (by a significant degree) by not trying.

Interesting to see them running TV spots, they are all over adwords, massive signage at v8supercars on the Gold Coast etc.

Andrew

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
I think their customer service has always been quite good as well

As much as I'm not a huge fan of GoDaddy; I'd have to agree. When I had many .com's with them; their support was above average.

I still have an account with them but I have since moved all my .com's to Namecheap.

Snooks

Top Contributor
I would guess that the majority of clients are "newbees"......it seems to me that the more experienced webmasters prefer other hosting and other registrars.

But everyone thats new to the net goes to Godaddy.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member