What's new

GoDaddy change default from .COM to .CO

WG2010

Archived Member
Interesting news that GoDaddy has changed the default extension from .COM to .CO for new registrations.

Given the fact that so many .com's are taken and many .co's are not, chances are this is just a move to increase revenue.

I don't think this is any indication that .co is of any significant value. There were lots of "founding" members pushing this extension late last year in the hope of making a quick buck.

Bob Parsons was looking at selling the business again of late so this might be just a move to increase revenues before selling it off for real.

DavidL

Top Contributor
This is a big deal. Suspect WorGeneral is right & GoDaddy are figuring they will increase their reg rate a little with a more lucractive and less exhausted extension.

I wonder what their 'available' rate for .com domains has been over the last few years and how that's affected registration rates.

The interesting thing is how much this move in itself will drive .co

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Bob parsons tends to go with the flavor of the month , it was done with .me and .tv in the past but eventually ends back at .com ...... because the yanks think .com is their cctld

snoopy

Top Contributor
GoDaddy are figuring they will increase their reg rate a little with a more lucractive and less exhausted extension.

I doubt it. Would expect reduced revenue and an increase in complaints from people who registered one accidentally.

Would be like trying to sell .au.com to people instead of .com.au.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Bob parsons tends to go with the flavor of the month , it was done with .me and .tv in the past but eventually ends back at .com ...... because the yanks think .com is their cctld

Thanks spacey - didn't realise this has been done before.

I doubt it. Would expect reduced revenue and an increase in complaints from people who registered one accidentally.

Would be like trying to sell .au.com to people instead of .com.au.

Yeah maybe although I'd love to see a couple of graphs side by side:

1) % of registration attempts where domain is available
2) % of domain search sessions that result in a registration
3) margin in a typical .com registration

over the last ten years for Godaddy.

I bet these metrics are all on a clear decline...

snoopy

Top Contributor
1) % of registration attempts where domain is available
2) % of domain search sessions that result in a registration
3) margin in a typical .com registration

I don't see why Godaddy's margins would be falling.

The first two would be occuring but that same would be true of any in demand market. The statistic that would be going up is volumes and trying to sell people .co when they want .com isn't going to be good for sales in my view.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo