What's new

Giddyup!

neddy

Top Contributor
No price mentioned, but knowing the seller, Racing Victoria would have paid a pretty penny for Racing.com

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/victorian_racing_umbrella_site_gets_N62SNk5sOGZz96jZfyCjrM

Racing Victoria has purchased the racing.com domain name, a further step in establishing its own media business containing almost all of the state’s digital thoroughbred racing assets.

The organisation recently bought the domain from a United States firm for an undisclosed fee, and will launch the media unit and new, wider consumer brand for the industry by mid-September.

And mentioned on The Domains

neddy

Top Contributor
Kramer says it best. :)

6 seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlaRZOUwn4

neddy

Top Contributor
Adrian Kinderis - CEO, ARI Registry Services (a wholly owned subsidiary of AusRegistry Pty Ltd, the current Registry Operator of the .au ccTLD) has published what I'm sure will be a provocative article to some.

Is racing.com a half-million dollar mistake for Racing Victoria?

Amongst other things, he seeks to promote the new TLD's (as you would expect him to do given his position).

Some interesting quotes:

The domain name racing.com is not a very useful signpost to direct people to a website about horse racing in Victoria, Australia. It’s too generic, won’t be assisted by search and is a poor execution of a good vision.

My experience tells me that an ad for racing.com in Australia will leak a lot of traffic to racing.com.au, which is unfortunately owned by betting company Tabcorp. That’s a nice win for Tabcorp!

The most unfortunate aspect about the decision to pay a high-end, six-figure sum for racing.com is the fact domain names are now radically transforming.

Hundreds of new domain name suffixes such as .menu, .monash and .sydney are being added to the Internet alongside the familiar .com, offering individuals and businesses like Racing Victoria greater domain name availability, choice and innovation.

Unlike the meaningless and unintuitive .com, these new domain names allow for a clear and descriptive signpost that lets your audience know exactly what your business is about even before they land on your website. They provide an affinity to a geographic location or market vertical that .com is unable to do.

And so on .....

Giddyup!

neddy

Top Contributor
AK's post is getting a bit of a "touch up" in the online world.

Well respected blogger Konstantinos Zournas of onlinedomain.com has published a good article:

http://onlinedomain.com/2014/08/18/...icizes-the-purchase-of-racing-com-for-500000/

Some of the comments are worth a read too!

The attacks on .COM from Mind & Machines, Donuts, and now ARI Registry just come off as desperate and delusional.

So far the new gTLD have vastly underperformed the rosy projections. There is very little end user demand and many domainers are growing tired of the new extensions.

As far as I know the sale price has not been reported. It could have sold for more.

I think Adrian Kinteris pulled the $500,000 number out of his ass.

:D

findtim

Top Contributor
I think Adrian Kinteris pulled the $500,000 number out of his ass.

put him in a room with clive palmer, they'll have a fun time.

HTML:
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/clive-palmer-blasts-china-on-qa-20140819-3dx15.html

snoopy

Top Contributor
Most of Andrian's post is the usual self serving garbage about new tlds etc (even talks about .horse) but he is 100% right about the .com.au stuff.

These guys can't be serious using racing.com without owning the .com.au. When I saw the news that they'd bought racing .com I assumed they owned the .com.au.

Massive blunder. They gone from a stinker in .net.au to a much better name, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for an Australian company that doesn't own the .com.au to collect all the traffic that adds on the .au. They may well need to rebrand again if they can't get the .com.au.

Offtap

I 100% disagree.

This site will rank well above racing.com.au - its not an branding issue. It will rank in the serps in its own right.

The .com also identifies the global nature of horse racing in Australia.

racing.com.au can never rank for racing terms - it redirects to tab.com.au which caries zero news or replays or anything for that matter.

Tabcorp are not going to sell racing.com.au anytime soon, nor will they develop it in its own right as it would compete with their skyracing.com.au which is trying to be a news/reference site.

This is not the first racing authority to underpin its marketing initiatives with a national coverage of racing. The only issue going forward is that it will be paid for by Vic racing industry participants and if money ever got tight, they might question the ongoing multi million dollar spend to effectively be provide a national racing news coverage that may/may not directly benefit the Victorian industry.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I 100% disagree.

This site will rank well above racing.com.au - its not an branding issue. It will rank in the serps in its own right.

The .com also identifies the global nature of horse racing in Australia.

racing.com.au can never rank for racing terms - it redirects to tab.com.au which caries zero news or replays or anything for that matter.

I don't think ranking is the issue. Probably anything can outrank a redirected site.

I think they are going to have massive problems with TV advertising, word of mouth, radio, print, any form of advertising which is not online. It will be a very large traffic loss in my view.

Erwin

Top Contributor
A nice name, I do tend to agree that some people might assume it's an au and go there. That's the thing about .au it's overshadowed by .com
Thanks for sharing the article..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member