What's new

Geo Ntld's Flopping -.Berlin, .Tokyo etc

Do you think .Melbourne & .Sydney will be flops?

• Yes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snoopy

Top Contributor
So far two have come out,

.Berlin - Looked to have got off to a strong start with near 40k reges on day one. Then there was tens of thousands of free names. Ever since of heard quiet chatter that even the first 40k included a lot of freebies given away to residents. Who knows what the real count it but it is only growing at 20 reges a day.

http://ntldstats.com/tld/berlin

.Tokyo - Started yesterday and under 10k reges on the first day. I'd call that a major flop.

These are much bigger cities than .Sydney, .Melbourne so I suspect the Australian goes are going to go down like a lead balloon. Especially .melbourne which is way too long especially since the obvious market is tourism and most tourists would be accessing the Internet via phones. It is hard to type on a desktop let alone a phone.

Shane

Top Contributor
They'd have been better off with .syd and .mel, but either way they'd still likely fail.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
They'd have been better off with .syd and .mel, but either way they'd still likely fail.

Tend to agree but it's quite amazing to think what we get when we type in a website and extension compared to when there was no internet, maybe the smarter sites will have apps to make the navigation process to their sites easier ? I voted unsure as i really don't do much 'mobile surfing' MelbourneCars.Com.Au or Cars.Melbourne … ummm

Jamie-AU

In many cases, I think the top level domain is not as important as it was many years ago. This is because people are increasingly not entering a URL into the browser's location bar, but typing the business name or product in a search box.

For example, if someone wants to go to the website of Qantas, many people won't type "www.qantas.com.au" into the location bar - they'll type in just "qantas" into a search engine's search box, which will probably bring up what they are looking for before they even finish typing in the full 6 letters.

So whether Qantas has their website as qantas.com.au, qantas.net.au, qantas.airline or qantas.whatever, it matters little when people want to find a website.

Sure, a clever top level domain for a business looks good on printed or promotional material, and for branding, but when trying to find a website, it's not as hugely important as it used to be.

findtim

Top Contributor
my search browsing has changed, i just type qantas into the url and get the results and click whatever link i want, i use to think people were silly for doing that but the browsers are now more use to it.

maybe i've changed because of iphone, ipad?

the total answer is WILL google give priority to hotels.sydney ? given they own many themselves you could say yes? i just can't see that happening myself.

tim

helloworld

Top Contributor
It also took what 5 years for them to give the same weight to .tv etc so you could potentially use that as an indicator

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks for the link snoopy

"Google will attempt to rank new TLDs appropriately,"

careful words being used

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
my search browsing has changed, i just type qantas into the url and get the results and click whatever link i want, i use to think people were silly for doing that but the browsers are now more use to it.

I agree. In fact I think often it's faster to do so, mainly because I've become used to Google correcting my typos. But that doesn't mean .melbourne is worthwhile.

findtim

Top Contributor
what i WANT to see is an opinion on the new gtlds seo potential that is ACTUALLY ON a new gltd domain

when i search " gtld seo "

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads