What's new

Genesis 2 site responsiveness question

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Just thought I'd ask here.

With Genesis 2 and Wordpress 3.6 about to be released, it is mentioned that Genesis 2 will have responsiveness built into the parent theme. Does this mean that by default, all Studiopress child themes will now be responsive... or still just the select dozen or so?

Thanks in advance.
Ian. :)

findtim

Top Contributor
this will be a good thread as i am RIGHT in the middle of this now as i have soooo many sites using genesis. So i hope that others will update the thread on what they do and mistakes they make along the way.

i say yes, but in parts,

first genesis are very progressive and to stay in the market they will need to make all their templates responsive otherwise they will just die

the transition from a current non responsive site to responsive may not be as simple as the "upgrade" button.

it must be a HUGE amount of work for them, both in programming and marketing which gets back to the parent theme question. You can have genesis parent responsive but i can't see how that will turn your old child theme into responsive.

they are going to bring out a new responsive version for all their themes, reason.... because most people ( and studiopress prefer ) that you only ever change your child theme and leave genesis alone.

altering genesis is bad bad bad in my books, if i was running just ONE website then i'd say ok, but running many i say you'd be crazy.

my present experiments with the responsive genesis thems have not been impressive ( even though i love studiopress) so i'm not going to jump in quickly.

i will be trialing all this on spare domains not working domains.

don't change whats not broken, let everyone else get the bugs out before you update is my way.

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Brian Gardner just replied to this question I posed in the Studiopress forum.

"No, it does not mean all themes will be responsive by default — most of the responsiveness of a theme resides in the CSS and media queries, so there’d be no way for all of the themes to be instantly responsive."

So there you have it. ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
yep, like i said, i would expect though that there are FAST TRACKING moving all child themes to be responsive.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members