What's new

General question re III.com.au domain names

marketingweb

Top Contributor
III.com.au domain names - General Question

Hi All,

As we all know people pay crazy prices for com's that are 3 letters .com - no matter what the three letters are, with domainers presuming every combination of letters are an abreviation for SOMEONE's business and it will be saleable.

The two questions are:
1) If it was possible to get a random 3 letter .com.au for regfee, is this worth it if there is no obvious development target, simply because someone may want it? Or would this logic only apply for .com's

2) How would one ensure they didn't fall foul of cybersquatting laws for a random III.com.au domain name in in this type of case - make up a site name that matches and say coming soon - but this domain may be for sale?

Thanks
Matt
www.marketingweb.com.au

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
1) no
2) possible but varies by case, bad faith and good faith are complex to establish, surely a site helps as long as it does not show same stuff of tm holder

Example:

if you had "iphone.com" and were promoting iphones on the site, you could say welcome to Apple`s Legal team...

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Thanks for the reply..... i'm more talking if it was say dpl.com.au or fxj.com.au or qae.com.au or something like that.... not a trademarked brand name like iphone. Does that change things? I know in .com world they go crazy for those type of names for some reason!

soj

Founder
As acronyms aren't actually trademarkable you can easily pick these up and make a filler site based around that acronym and its possible meanings. I think the only way you get in trouble (based on what I understand from the auda rules) is that if you are profiting from another persons trademark with your .au domain then that is bad faith. To have a site say about Ford's, which doesn't have advertising I think you can easily get away with.

But again, thats based on my understanding of the rules.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Thanks for the reply..... i'm more talking if it was say dpl.com.au or fxj.com.au or qae.com.au or something like that.... not a trademarked brand name like iphone. Does that change things? I know in .com world they go crazy for those type of names for some reason!

not trademarked = much less risks, like say you are 99 % ok

TM being there = still you may be OK, but it may be risky

example of few years ago:

Gmail.de

Google had to kiss Registrant`s butt and pay him a cool $1M because he regged the domain BEFORE the TM.

If you reg after the TM, then risk is wayyyy increasing.

Timmy

Banned
What if I registered the name of an American TV Show - i.e- www.dexter.com.au (I don't have that obviously.)

1,220,000 Exact match queries per month locally...

Is there any point in having this domain? How can I legally develop it to take advantage of the traffic...?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
I'd say a random LLL.com.au would be worth at least reg-fee, though I suppose there's a risk you wouldn't be able to unload it for several years, especially if it's something that's unlikely to ever have an acronym attached to it.

Shaun

Top Contributor
You could have the domain name Dexter. Your name could be Dexter, or it could be a nickname.

You could possibly become the "unofficial" fan page to Dexter.

paz

What if I registered the name of an American TV Show - i.e- www.dexter.com.au (I don't have that obviously.)

1,220,000 Exact match queries per month locally...

Is there any point in having this domain? How can I legally develop it to take advantage of the traffic...?

Could very easily place and affiliate link for Dexter box set DVD's etc. :)

Timmy

Banned
Thanks Shaun and Paz,

That was my assumption. Great to know. I thought a forum/community would be great both for indexing and to build a community of new/returning users that could potentially be marketed via email newsletter and with banners...

I love 2010 :)

soj

Founder
The only way auda look at a domain is if a complaint is made. Now are the investigators at auda going to look through every single page for an affiliate link, and if they are cloaked well enough, going to try clicking every link? The chances of being caught are very slim, just hope they don't pick you up on anything else.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
The only way auda look at a domain is if a complaint is made. Now are the investigators at auda going to look through every single page for an affiliate link, and if they are cloaked well enough, going to try clicking every link? The chances of being caught are very slim, just hope they don't pick you up on anything else.

well, I like to stay clear of troubles.

marketingweb

Top Contributor
I'm with soj,

I think WAY too much stuff that actually works is avoided for fear of coming under the wrath of google. If you read any of the black hat forums (which i do just for interest - avoid applying most of it) you find that there are people having success doing far more dodgey things than most people are scared of

Matt
Marketing Web

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads