What's new

Gathering domain intelligence: domain detective tools

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
That's a fantastic effort.
What do you use all this information for?
Thanks! :)
Lots of applications:
  • Due diligence before splashing out on a larger domain purchase - I want to know if there's any baggage. Incidentally I'll be publishing an article about due diligence sometime in the next week or so!
  • Some of the info can be useful for evaluating domains (e.g. search traffic, CPC). Of course search volume and CPC is only one part of evaluation... there's also an article on the way regarding domain evaluation ;)
  • Finding more details about buyers - sometimes you can use these tools to find out the true identity of a buyer or even get a better picture of their financial position (alongside all the usual sleuthing approaches!).
  • As noted in the article, monitoring my IP assets (e.g. trademarks).
  • Identifying potential buyers (although I'm not typically an outbound/active seller).
  • Identifying high quality domains that are likely to expire. E.g. sometimes you can identify valuable domains or portfolios that are likely to expire due to a range of circumstances
  • Identifying high quality domains coming up for auction. E.g. being able to use various filters for the large lists of .com domains going to auction. As an aside, I'm buying less .com these days and more actively buying .au domains, something I would not have predicted a few years ago!
  • A whole bunch of other reasons, including idle curiosity! :)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I'm a nosey bast*rd too and also use the Australian Business Register and ASIC to check the validity of entities ;-)
Quite often the entity is the registrant of the domain and they can cease to exist.
You can also track down addresses for contact if you can't find them elsewhere.
Yes I use the search features on those sites a lot too! :)
I also use this site frequently (and I'll be discussing this in an article on 'due diligence'): IP Australia

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member