What's new

Frontpage or Nothing ?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I am wondering what the go here is, i have a vbulletin publishing suite which includes forum, blog and frontpage articles

The site was on second page of google for the last month and i have added posts to the forum and i have done a blog once a week but when i searched for the site yesterday i found it had dropped down about four pages ??

It occured to me that this happened perhaps because the frontpage articles were not as frequent as the remainder of the site

So the question is that if add content to the frontpage is this the main thing that google is noticing ??

Also because i don't wish the frontpage to be 'too long' once more regular content is added if i make subpages and re-arrange the content on the frontpage to them will this cost me ??

So i plan to add more content to front page but also then deligate it to subpages on a regular basis

Thoughts ??

webdeal

Don't worry your site will come back again, just keep updating the blog...Google shuffles SERP time to time ...ideally will be if you put the most recent posts on your frontage. Also some more text except most recent posts will not spoil the front page

Shane

Top Contributor
As webdeal said, Google shuffles the SERPs all the time, especially for young sites. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
As webdeal said, Google shuffles the SERPs all the time, especially for young sites. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Do you agree that if i promote blog posts to frontpage articles and then do a regular reshuffle of these 'frontpage articles' it will keep the site fresh in googles eyes

Shane

Top Contributor
I don't know the answer to be honest, but some of my sites have had static front pages for years whilst still ranking well.

In some cases I'm scared to change them in case I stuff something up and the rankings fall! :p

webdeal

I would not change completely , i would add slowly and watch....

I have several websites with the blog posts on the frontpage.

I called them "news" and update daily and Google started to index my site very quickly ( 5 min after post ) ....plus it gives me extra page overall...so site is growing, which is very important if you want to dominate....

works for me....:)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
after adding the article the site moved back to where it was before, so i will be more aware and see what works and what doesn't

Shane

Top Contributor
The short term ranking change may not be due to on-page changes through.

Just this week I've had a fairly new site move from page 20 to page 1 to page 20 to page 1 to page 10! Now it's sitting on page 1 when searching Google on IE and page 10 when searching on Chrome. Logged out of Google in both cases.

Google is a confusing beast sometimes...! :)

webdeal

If only we knew their secrets to search

In this case ( this is my personal rule ) better to write text for search engine first than for a visitor. What do i mean by that, search engine LOVES text, this is why we say "the content is king" , but if you will be able to combine both, i mean enough text for search engine and useful for a visitor, then your website will shine in TOP 10 in any browser FF,IE, Chrome and etc

snoopy

Top Contributor
So the site consists of some articles and a forum with your own posts on it. Isn't there some fairly obvious quality issues here? Not sure if Google is detecting that now but even if they aren't how long will it be before they do. Rethink of the business model is required in my view.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Starting a forum in an ever changing world of facebook etc was always going to be a challenge but as i enjoy the subject i didn't mind having a go

All the posts, blogs and articles are music related and that is what is important to me at this point of time, the question was related to how the regularity of the content was influencing the way it was seen on google

Why would google have a problem with original content about music considering where it is coming from ...... a music based site

Got the feeling you could win lotto and still complain?

Last edited:

nina

Top Contributor
Here's the thing about google - which is of opinion only as I am unable to find the document I read about this behaviour.

Google is smart -and I can't remember the exact specifics so don't take me to task on what may appear to be misinformation. :)

What Google thinks if you do a search and do not click on the pages on the top, it then does further recalculation to not bring up the pages again in the same search or within a small time frame.

It does not know whether you are just 'checking' your own sites, but it does not like to deliver the same information at the top over and over again if the result is not being used.

That could explain when you are looking from one browser to another, that the results are different if your primary browser does not server your sites up at the ranking you are expecting.

I was reading about this a while ago - and I can't remember if my search was influenced when I was logged in to gmail or something, or if I clicked the link or ignored it, but I do remember testing it and finding that different browsers and different computers delivered different results.

I think that too much time analysing how Google works will do your head more than it's worth.

I used to be paranoid about broken links if I upgraded my sites but now I'm about to cull 80 pages or so of my primary site that delivered me alot of hits from Google searches - I will redirect them most likely to another website, but I am of the belief that content is KING and Google will in general, reward you with good rankings as an overall measure.

Spend your time keeping your content fresh, updated and relevant or build exceptional evergreen references that people come back to over and over again and you should see the results.

I think also, it's a smart move to work on providing good quality information on other highly ranked sites to help build up the 'authority' that Google looks as in relevance to importance.

Another topic I could talk all day on although I admit, I have neglected my own things due to infrastructure changes in my business and other life things stopping me from focussing on it, but that is slowing changing.

Ongoing long term Google success is built on the 'rolling thunder' approach where you on a regular basis, but in balanced amounts, provide the content delivery that Google rewards you with and ranks you higher.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Nina

snoopy

Top Contributor
Why would google have a problem with original content about music considering where it is coming from ...... a music based site

Got the feeling you could win lotto and still complain?

You just told us Google was't ranking you well so it is probably a reasonable chance they have a problem with it.

It is a bit like the singer who can't get a gig, he asks people why and they tell him his voice is terrible. "hey man say something positive about why I can't get a gig".

Google is ranking the site poorly and the content sounds contrived/low grade, I can't put a positive spin on that.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members