What's new

Freak storm hits Townsville

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
SES crews and the Army will help the clean-up in Townsville after a freak storm ripped through the city, as the weather bureau warns of more heavy rain for the region.

Residents have described terrifying ordeals of being forced to huddle in their hallways and bathrooms as the storm tore open their homes early this morning.

Premier Anna Bligh and LNP leader Campbell Newman have flown into the city, putting election campaigning on hold as they assess the area.

Ms Bligh has declared the region a disaster zone and says the storm was akin to a "mini-tornado", packing winds of up to 130 kilometres per hour.

About 60 properties have been badly damaged and some buildings have collapsed, with much of the devastation centred on a one-kilometre radius around the suburb of Vincent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-20/in-pictures-mini-tornado-in-townsville/3901760

Thankfully I have heard from Neddy and sounds as though he and his family made it through the ordeal unscathed. Sounds like he was right in the thick off it & not for the first time!

In case anyone has been trying to get in touch, pretty sure he is without power.

Is anyone else up that way?

neddy

Top Contributor
Thanks FPR - all good.

But a hugely frightening 10 / 15 minutes this morning with roofs coming off houses all around us; shade sails going to heaven - and lots of trees coming down everywhere.

And localised flooding.

Worse thing is no power (still). Went up to the library in another suburb and used their facilities. Very nice.

I'm booked to come to Melbourne tomorrow (got first panel meeting of auDA on Thursday). Not sure if I'll get there though.

Cheers, Ned

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member