What's new

Forums..how do you monetize them?

jhellyer

Top Contributor
Hi All,

I have an idea for a business Forum but I am unsure as to how I can monetize it...if there is a way at all? I understand that you could sell advertising space etc.....but are there any other options? At the end of the day I suppose I need to know if there is any money in it..lol?

Appreciate any feedback :)

Cheers

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
That's good question , at this point i think google/affiliate ads plus sponserships and i have noticed over at 'namepros' they offer the option of paid sticky threads and even the option of having the title of 'supporter' next to your name for about $50 from memory

from time to time namepros have offer to have the 'whole skin' of the forum sponsered ..........rick latona would be one recent example

Snooks

Top Contributor
Most forums have some sort of paid membership, or subscription upgrade that entitles them to extra benefits over regular members.

It normally includes things such as extra pm's, perhaps access to a private forum....stuff like that.

payattention

Archived Member
I've never run a successful forum (although I've tried, about to try again with www.diablo3builds.com ("builds" are gamer lingo) but from what I've read you do have a few options - paid upgrades which give users additional features as previously explained as well as Adsense.

Everything I've read suggests you really need high levels of traffic before your forum will take off; an idea isn't enough.

Places like SA (something awful) charge for access which remove advertisements (i like this model) while other forums like GenMay (dead these days but was big back in the day) offer private sections where users can share adult content and/or ban other users, rename them and cause other havok for a limited set of time. That of course is forum dependent; wouldn't work here in otherwords but was perfect for GenMay.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
If it's a business forum surely there are complementary services which could be promoted, become sponsors or be charged for a business listing.

If you are going down the Adsense path then I'd be inclined to only show them to guest users.

Donations are also big on some forums where there is no clear way to monetize or advertisers hard to come by - but you need a very loyal community.

And like the orthers have said, paid subscriptions/upgrades are common. I think this is the best way to earn if you can get them..

James

Top Contributor
Forums are a bit of work but same concepts work

- Affiliate
- CPM is a must
- CPC in the right places (even as 2nd posts)
- Private ad sales
- Forum upgrades (sell people random shit like banners under their name)
- Sponsored sections
- Selling spots on the monthly email list..

Probably got some more ideas for all on a recent post I did hehe -

http://jamesnorquay.com/10-sure-fire-tips-to-make-money-online-in-australia/

And I will show you one of the best money making forums I have seen -

luxury4play.com

these guys do it well, but yeah growing the user base/ keeping the spam gone and keeping people posting is the hard part.

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
Hi All,

I have an idea for a business Forum but I am unsure as to how I can monetize it...if there is a way at all? I understand that you could sell advertising space etc.....but are there any other options? At the end of the day I suppose I need to know if there is any money in it..lol?

Appreciate any feedback :)

Cheers

Send money to me; I tell.

That's how you monetize a forum. :D

jhellyer

Top Contributor
lol Admin, will do! Thanks so much for all the advice and ideas really is greatly appreciated. Might do a little research then have a stab at it. Advertising is the key I think.......thanks again.

Snooks

Top Contributor
Advertising is the key I think.......thanks again.

I dont think advertising is the hard part, the hard part is the huge amount of time that a forum can suck up....posting, talking and killing spam and spammers is the hard bit:)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member