What's new

Former Federal Advisor calls for replacement of AUDA or new legislation to control it.

Is it time for AUDA to be scrapped?

• YES

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • UNSURE

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

snoopy

Top Contributor
This just in from Domainer.com.au

http://www.domainer.com.au/auda-you-promised-members-better-communication/#comment-3389

It's not just about transparency, which is important of course. But it's also about accountability of auDA and its Board to its stakeholders - international and national. Australian stakeholders include: members of auDA and non-members including end-users/registrants/holders of domain name licences, registrars, ACCC, ACMA, Minister for Communications, the Federal Government and its Cabinet and, ultimately, the Federal Parliament (House of Representative Members and Senators).

If there’s one thing fifty plus years of involvement and interest in public policy taught me, it is that accountability and transparency are fundamentally important for good governance; and, essential pre-conditions for stakeholder trust and confidence in public institutions. Failure to consistently meet high standards of governance, accountability and transparency to stakeholders, invites government intervention.

I have seen many examples of ministerial and government intervention to ensure high standards of governance, transparency and accountability to stakeholders. The iron fist of government in a velvet glove remarkably is effective, as is moral suasion. Moral suasion appears to have been relatively ineffective when it comes to auDA.

In my view the time has come for auDA - or another entity performing like functions - to be subject to a legislative framework that provides for more effective governance and greater accountability and transparency.

Ian Johnston

Observer of auDA (2000-2017). Member of auDA's Names Policy and Competition Model Advisory Panels (2000-2001).

Advocate for and consultant to national small business consumer and industry associations on telecommunications and ecommerce (1998-2006).

Policy advisor in Federal Departments and their Ministers, mainly Communications, Treasury, Finance and Defence (1962 to 1996).

I have highlighted perhaps the most telling part.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
This just in from Domainer.com.au

http://www.domainer.com.au/auda-you-promised-members-better-communication/#comment-3389

I have highlighted perhaps the most telling part.

WOW.... people are waking up and speaking out! Good on Ian.. ..

Come on auDA Board members.. speak up.. you are all backstabbing each other privately.. come clean on this forum and on www.domainer.com.au

Who is making these crazy decisions? Who is getting people jobs at auDA and stacking the board and really pushing things through? Name them openly instead of just private messages and phone calls.. It will all come out eventually anyway... Be smart get in a lifeboat.
___

"
Hello Ned and others

It’s not just about transparency, which is important of course. But it’s also about accountability of auDA and its Board to its stakeholders – international and national. Australian stakeholders include: members of auDA and non-members including end-users/registrants/holders of domain name licences, registrars, ACCC, ACMA, Minister for Communications, the Federal Government and its Cabinet and, ultimately, the Federal Parliament (House of Representative Members and Senators).

If there’s one thing fifty plus years of involvement and interest in public policy taught me, it is that accountability and transparency are fundamentally important for good governance; and, essential pre-conditions for stakeholder trust and confidence in public institutions. Failure to consistently meet high standards of governance, accountability and transparency to stakeholders, invites government intervention.

I have seen many examples of ministerial and government intervention to ensure high standards of governance, transparency and accountability to stakeholders. The iron fist of government in a velvet glove remarkably is effective, as is moral suasion. Moral suasion appears to have been relatively ineffective when it comes to auDA.

In my view the time has come for auDA – or another entity performing like functions – to be subject to a legislative framework that provides for more effective governance and greater accountability and transparency.

Ian Johnston

Observer of auDA (2000-2017). Member of auDA’s Names Policy and Competition Model Advisory Panels (2000-2001).

Advocate for and consultant to national small business consumer and industry associations on telecommunications and ecommerce (1998-2006).

Policy advisor in Federal Departments and their Ministers, mainly Communications, Treasury, Finance and Defence (1962 to 1996)."

ttfan

Top Contributor
In you poll, do you mean scrap them altogether, or scrap the board/management?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Scrap auDA and the auDA Foundation and it scraps the boards. Problems solved.

When experts such as Ian Johnston speak up you know it is VERY SERIOUS now...
Not just a handful of people but real experinced people from all political parties and member groups etc

Half the Board Members and auDA staff old and new have also been slagging each other off for the decisions but how can it all be so "unanimous" then? ...Who is pulling the strings.. if they all unanimous then sack them all. auDA can be easily replaced...

snoopy

Top Contributor

By that poll responses I mean set up a new entity. I don't think govt has the power to sack the board but they can wind up the whole thing under the constitution and their original endorsement letter from the year 2000.

8 WINDING UP

On dissolution of the Company, the right to administer the .au ccTLD must either be transferred on to another entity nominated or approved by the Commonwealth of Australia or, in the absence of such approval, be transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia.
If upon the winding up or dissolution of auDA there remains, after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities, any property or money whatsoever, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed to the Members but shall be transferred to the subsequent entity approved by the Commonwealth of Australia to manage the .au ccTLD.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
By that poll responses I mean set up a new entity. I don't think govt has the power to sack the board but they can wind up the whole thing under the constitution and their original endorsement letter from the year 2000.
Wind it up / Can it / Close it / Scrap It..Disrupt it / Sack it / Cancel the endorsement..... Whatever.. Enough is Enough it has gotten worse.. a lot worse.. we where sold a dummy about more transparency, more accountability, more member engagement etc. It was all B.S.

Lemon

Top Contributor
CORPORATIONS ACT 2001 - SECT 249D
Calling of general meeting by directors when requested by members
(1) The directors of a company must call and arrange to hold a general meeting on the request of members with at least 5% of the votes that may be cast at the general meeting.

(2) The request must:
(a) be in writing; and
(b) state any resolution to be proposed at the meeting; and
(c) be signed by the members making the request; and
(d) be given to the company.

(3) Separate copies of a document setting out the request may be used for signing by members if the wording of the request is identical in each copy.
(4) The percentage of votes that members have is to be worked out as at the midnight before the request is given to the company.
(5) The directors must call the meeting within 21 days after the request is given to the company. The meeting is to be held not later than 2 months after the request is given to the company.

Members could always request a resolution to be voted on

DomainNames

Top Contributor
WINDING UP TIME -

All auDA assets and the $10million+ transferred to Department of Communications to administer the .au and run the wholesale registry on government secure servers.

A new unpaid domain name experienced advisory committee to assist (with no political affiliations of people required).

8 WINDING UP

On dissolution of the Company, the right to administer the .au ccTLD must either be transferred on to another entity nominated or approved by the Commonwealth of Australia or, in the absence of such approval, be transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia.

If upon the winding up or dissolution of auDA there remains, after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities, any property or money whatsoever, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed to the Members but shall be transferred to the subsequent entity approved by the Commonwealth of Australia to manage the .au ccTLD.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Members could always request a resolution to be voted on

This is an interesting one. I wonder if members start a resolution to wind up AUDA, if it went to a special resolution and was successful
what would be the effect of this? Do members have the authority to do this, I think it is basically imposing an obligation of the Commonwealth here and they'd have to make a decision to either take it in house or setup a new entity with much tighter regulations?

I guess it would be a matter for government lawyers to work out?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Overboarding is corporate governance gone mad
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/29/overboarding-corporate-governance-gone-mad/

Note to auDA and the auDA Board. Please make sure anyone appointed to the auDA board has domain name experience and the time to properly be involved in the important management of auDA and the .au namespace... We do not need people who wish to add another board position to their linkedin profile or resume at this crisis point of time for auDA.

The UK is now voting out directors who sit on too many boards who do not properly fulfill their tasks and learn what is needed or what is expected for good governance or other suitable candidates can easily be found via proper auDA member voting procedures.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/27/barclays-threatened-investor-revolt-agm/
"In another setback, The Telegraph revealed earlier today that Glass Lewis has advised Barclays shareholders vote against the re-election of Sir Ian, the former boss of B&Q owner Kingfisher, because he sits on too many boards at other companies".

https://cira.ca/about-cira/board-and-governance
https://cira.ca/joining-board-directors
https://cira.ca/about-cira/board-and-governance/meeting-agendas-and-minutes
https://cira.ca/grow-your-career-cira
Minutes

DomainNames

Top Contributor
How does auDA's minutes and board procedures compare to Canada? Shockingly bad.

Look at the difference what they out on the CIRA website compared to auda.org.au. Look at the detailed public minutes at CIRA, Board and voting procedures, advertised jobs, FREE membership for all domain name registrants, public events,
About CIRA
Membership
CANADA
Domains registered: 2,611,706
Population 35.85 million (2015)

upload_2017-5-8_2-43-36.png

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting