What's new

Foreign companies owning Australian domains

dave

Can anybody filmy in on the exact requirements of a foreign company applying for an Australian domain?

The domain policy states that a foreign company must be licensed to trade in Australia yet I see a couple of articles floating around saying that all you need is an Australian trademark.

Thanks in advance

Dave

dave

I have but struggled to come up with anything more than the point form of the policy. I'm actually wondering what the real-life interpretation might be.

neddy

Top Contributor
Hi Dave,

This is straight from auDA:

Foreign entities can register com.au domain names with an ARBN, a registered business name or a registered trade mark.

If you need any further info, you are welcome to PM me. Or contact auDA directly. :)

dave

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I thought it was a bit more difficult than just applying for a trademark. Anyway once again thanks for the help.

actually a Trademark application is all that is required (see f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; - Schedule C)

A foreign company registration is just another way

shags38

Top Contributor
an Australian TM application will cost about $150 - significantly cheaper than an ARBN or any other form of business set up here. A Foreign company can lodge a single trade mark application (even knowing that it will fail) and then register as many au domains as it likes - a great way and absolute peanuts for a foreign domainer to get a slice of this market

djuqa

Top Contributor
an Australian TM application will cost about $150

Yes but there are further fees if trademark application is accepted before the TM is granted.
All up it is approx. $400 including fees if applying from overseas.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member