What's new

findtim in Malaysia ( domain ext )

findtim

Top Contributor
well ive done @ 700klms across this country whilst here and i must say they are PRO active advertisers and high quality graphics as well.

if it stands still there is an ad on it and if it moves there is an ad on it !!!!
so i have found through shopping centers, billboard, highway billboard, magazine, buses and the list goes on and on that there are 4 domains in use.

number one is .com , mostly i think because there are so many worldwide brands here, 2nd is .com.my, 3rd is .my and2 my BIG surprise 4th is NONE ! yep NONE, you have these huge billboards and the busines would clearly have a website but they choose not to detail it???

so if you take away the worldwide brands from the .com usage then it flips to 1st is .com.my THEN .com and so on.

i have done any in depth analysis of extension duplication as i am on holidays but what i have done i found that the .com.my user isn't even using the .my NOR is it registered, now this could be something to do with trademarks i'm not sure?

tim, heading to the airport to come home

snoopy

Top Contributor
number one is .com , mostly i think because there are so many worldwide brands here, 2nd is .com.my, 3rd is .my and2 my BIG surprise 4th is NONE ! yep NONE, you have these huge billboards and the busines would clearly have a website but they choose not to detail it???

so if you take away the worldwide brands from the .com usage then it flips to 1st is .com.my THEN .com and so on.

How do you take away the worldwide brands? They are choosing .com for local marketing, that is making a statement.

What I have noticed from all this is when you throw in multiple similar country codes it seems people often revert to .com. China, India and now Malaysia.

Seems to me Malaysia has the same confusing story that Nominet has,

.my - for Malaysian individuals and organizations
.com.my - for commercial organisation/activities

So organisations are supposed to choose?...seems that many just choose "none of the above".

findtim

Top Contributor
i wasn't "taking them away" i was just pointing out where the proportional influence was.

i felt it was a valid piece of information.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member