What's new

February Sales - how is it for you?

DavidL

Top Contributor
For no obvious reason, I seem to have had a solid couple of weeks in terms of decent sales. Not blockbuster but solid and easy sales. February sales so far (exc GST):

Networkers.com.au - $1,620
ebbs.com.au - $1,620
wen.com.au - $1,620
MigrationAustralia.com.au - $1,200
da.com.au - $7,000
MineralCommodities.com.au - $2,500

January, I didn't have a single 4-figure sale so for me, at least, it's been a big turnaround.

How about you guys - any increase in activity recently?

TpD

Thanks very much for the insight David.

I am surprised by the great prices you got, well done.

I had 2 inquiries in FEB but no takers.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Nothing major is happening for me this month. Just one sale just under $1000.

January actually bore a little more fruit for me.

That said, I've had quite a few tyre kickers this month with a number of <$200 offers that have fizzled out.

But I don't mind the tyre kickers, makes me think that the word is spread that domains are worth spending a bit more for.

; )

sydneyduo

Nice work David!

Been a pretty slow month so far.

Are you able to share how each of those sales came about mate?

Nothing too detailed, eg: AMA, directly contacted by buyer etc

Would be good for the rest of us to get a feel of the market.

Thanks!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Nothing major is happening for me this month. Just one sale just under $1000.

January actually bore a little more fruit for me.

Well there you go - maybe it's just a good month rather than a broader trend unfortunately...

That said, I've had quite a few tyre kickers this month with a number of <$200 offers that have fizzled out.

But I don't mind the tyre kickers, makes me think that the word is spread that domains are worth spending a bit more for.

Again it's been the opposite for me - actual number offers have actually been down!

Well done.

"1620" - the magic number?

That's my target price on a lot of my domains. Makes me worry I've left some money on the table! If so, then ah well - they are all hand reg so I'm happy!

Nice work David!

Been a pretty slow month so far.

Are you able to share how each of those sales came about mate?

Nothing too detailed, eg: AMA, directly contacted by buyer etc

Would be good for the rest of us to get a feel of the market.

Thanks!

Sure - 4 were standard listings, 2 were approaches through WHOIS. Been lazy and not done any marketing or even listing in the AMA. Does mean an easy sale though - eg wen.com.au, target price was met 9:16am today, paid & COR complete at 10:58am.

Sorry to hear that it's not picked up for you guys :( Fingers crossed it will soon

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well there you go - maybe it's just a good month rather than a broader trend unfortunately...
Well it is interesting times for the domaining industry - expiring domain sales seem to be drying up of late.

It will be interesting to see if buyers start doing more shopping in the NF catalogue or AMA or if they simply stop buying.

Again it's been the opposite for me - actual number offers have actually been down!
I have found the NF standard has been a bit quiet of late with only 4 offers coming via NF so far this year, but I've noticed an up tick in the number of inquiries from the parked pages themselves (including the one sale I made this month) with 7 email inquiries this year... I don't know if much can been drawn from these low numbers though.

Like all things in the world of domaining these things tend to ebb and flow.

:p

But it brings back up the question of, when will NetFleet launch it's own parking pages that facilitate sales directly?

I think they are leaving a lot of deals on the table.

That's my target price on a lot of my domains. Makes me worry I've left some money on the table! If so, then ah well - they are all hand reg so I'm happy!
I think all the prices you got were quite good!

When I first saw your results I was far more inclined to ask "what was your negotiation strategy to achieve such good results" more so than "don't you think you could have got more"...

;)

Sure - 4 were standard listings, 2 were approaches through WHOIS. Been lazy and not done any marketing or even listing in the AMA. Does mean an easy sale though - eg wen.com.au, target price was met 9:16am today, paid & COR complete at 10:58am.
So your BIN was $1620 and someone just bought it? No prior offer or anything?

I wish I were that fortunate. The one deal I got this month the guy haggled with me over the $18 COR...

:mad:

Lucas

Top Contributor
Just had one sale this month - $450 for buyparts dot com dot au. Interestingly, in light of your thoughts Chris.C, the sale was generated by a generic "This domain is for sale" page.

I have found standard listings have been very quiet on NF. I think its because, in my opinion, the standard listings are now very un-user friendly to browse. It is not intuitive that to browse through categories you need to use the drop down - it seems like the drop down is only used if you are entering a search term. Again I like Netfleet just as much as the next person but I honestly think they are hampering sales with their bad UI design.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
No domain sales at all for me this month.

I've turned down $xxxxx in the last 6 months or so, but haven't sold much at all (four figures).

I've only dabbled in the .com.au market, but frankly it's not my area of expertise and I'm mainly sticking with .com.

It seems that a few members have done pretty well with .com.au, so clearly there's money to be made if you know what you're doing.

helloworld

Top Contributor
For no obvious reason, I seem to have had a solid couple of weeks in terms of decent sales. Not blockbuster but solid and easy sales. February sales so far (exc GST):

Networkers.com.au - $1,620
ebbs.com.au - $1,620
wen.com.au - $1,620
MigrationAustralia.com.au - $1,200
da.com.au - $7,000
MineralCommodities.com.au - $2,500

January, I didn't have a single 4-figure sale so for me, at least, it's been a big turnaround.

How about you guys - any increase in activity recently?

Looks pretty awesome to me. Were these all auction sales or private sales?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Thanks guys.

As I say the first 4 were standard listings on Netfleet. The really unusual thing is that the first three came out of nowhere and met the target price with no offers or negotiation. The 4th had a bit of back and forth but was also a standard listing.

Last two were direct approaches. All were hand reg except da.com.au which I bought for $650 in 2009.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Just had one sale this month - $450 for buyparts dot com dot au. Interestingly, in light of your thoughts Chris.C, the sale was generated by a generic "This domain is for sale" page.
Yeah NetFleet should be jumping all over the parked/for sale pages - but I'm confident it's already high on their to do list.

;)

The biggest reason I think it will pay off for them is not because of existing domain holders switching to their platform but because so many domains are bought on their expiry auction each month that if they automatically pointed the domains at NF parking pages they'd be constantly increasing the number of domains on their parking platform which would increase the number of offers and commissions generated from their catalogue each month as well.

The really unusual thing is that the first three came out of nowhere and met the target price with no offers or negotiation.
Great to hear. Though makes me think I should probably go check all my BINs to make sure they are appropriate if more buyers willing to pay BINs are actually out there.

I'd love to hear some stats from NetFleet as to what percentage of domains listed with BINs achieve the BIN rather than are negotiated.

Last two were direct approaches. All were hand reg except da.com.au which I bought for $650 in 2009.
Gotta love that ROI.

:cool:

It seems that a few members have done pretty well with .com.au, so clearly there's money to be made if you know what you're doing.
I can't claim to be a big mover and shaker in the AU industry, nor do I actively go looking for sales, but there is definitely a good part-time, if not full-time living to be made if you are shrewd with your buying and selling (or if you have a large, ie 500+, portfolio of domains bought prior to 2010).

James

Top Contributor
Nice sales,

I put 3 domains on AMA, they got bids but didnt really reach the reserve so took them in.

I will probably sell a few websites in March ;)

also have a few others things happening in that month too, so lets hope its a lucky one.

bunstar

Top Contributor
I don't buy domains to sell but I made a few hundred yesterday from a company that wanted their dropped domain back LOL

CyberClick

Top Contributor
I've backed off a bit as I'm working on some new non-accommodation projects. From what I'm been seeing the quality of expiring domains has been down in February; perhaps more people are electing to renew?

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I've backed off a bit as I'm working on some new non-accommodation projects. From what I'm been seeing the quality of expiring domains has been down in February; perhaps more people are electing to renew?
The updated NF Domain Name Sales Graph says it all:

Domain Sales Graphs | Netfleet - The .AU Aftermarket

Only 495 expired domains in February. That's the lowest level since 2010, and back in 2010 Drop was catching A LOT more (if no the majority of) domains.

So I'd go as far as to say that this is basically an all time low for expired domain sales.

Of course on the flip side AMA domains have hit a new record high!

:D

Though growth in the AMA seems to have plateaued a bit. I think March will be VERY telling as to which direction the AMA will head.

No doubt there was a bit of initial buzz surrounding the AMA revamp, but going forward I think its volumes will only be based on merit.

My suspicion is that from here it will be used more as a domain liquidation tool rather than a domain sales tool by domainers. So its growth will probably plateau further and find some sort of a steady state with the vast majority sales being in the $10 - $300 range.

The bigger $300+ sales will continue to be negotiated.

Another positive worth noting is that the dollar value per domain is still relatively strong, especially given that there weren't many BIG domain sales in February.

And I think that is the most important thing...

;)

Very interesting times for AU domaining... if I was a betting man I'd be guessing that the AMA/catalogue for the first time grossed more for NetFleet than expired domains!

Changing of the guard?

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
The updated NF Domain Name Sales Graph says it all:

Domain Sales Graphs | Netfleet - The .AU Aftermarket

Only 495 expired domains in February. That's the lowest level since 2010, and back in 2010 Drop was catching A LOT more (if no the majority of) domains.

So I'd go as far as to say that this is basically an all time low for expired domain sales.

Interesting points you make and interesting graphs - and (caveat - not having full access to the data), as an initial observation you could easily read it as cannibalisation of expired sales by aftermarket sales.

We haven't seen the same kind of drop off on our own expired sales.

It would be great to see similar separate graphs of value as well as unit sales for expired and aftermarket.:D

And sales this month have been pretty good - I can't disclose our clients sales data but in the domain active portfolio we've had a couple of $5K sales and quite a few $900/$1000+ sales. I'd love to give domains and figures but understandably our buyers prefer their purchases to be kept confidential.

Andrew

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Interesting points you make and interesting graphs - and (caveat - not having full access to the data), as an initial observation you could easily read it as cannibalisation of expired sales by aftermarket sales.
I agree there could be "some" cannibalisation, but I would be very surprised if it was more than say 30%.

In my experience 90% of the domains I have let expire were not bid on in the expiry auctions by others. Which stands to reason, given that I only let domains of limited or no value expire. So putting them on the AMA prior to their expiration does not change the outcome for the majority of my worthless domain purchases.

:p

My sense is that the "quality" of domains expiring is reducing.

Of course this is hard to prove definitively, but anecdotally it feels obvious at least to me, given that it has been my experience that for domains that I had bought on the expiry auctions at least 2 years ago but later decided that I no longer wished to develop and subsequently placed them back for sale on the AMA have typically achieved results that were between 100% - 300% higher than what I purchased them for years ago.

This would suggest that the value buyers are willing to bid on domains at expiry auctions has substantially INCREASED over this period therefore if the quality of domains expiring had remained the same over this time then this should result in a corresponding INCREASE in the number of domains being bought as the previously marginal domains become viable.

However we have seen the opposite, which suggests a dramatic drop in quality.

And this may also help support the growth in the AMA sales given that the higher quality domains are now clearly to be found on the AMA so I suspect that the AMA sales to over time will become the dominant factor in NetFleet's sales.

And I think if the number and quality of expiring domains continues to fall then it stands to reason that NetFleet will have a growing incentive to put the greater focus on AMA domains that are up for auction.

It would be great to see similar separate graphs of value as well as unit sales for expired and aftermarket.
I too would love to see the breakdown of the three different platforms in terms of volume and values.

;)

And sales this month have been pretty good.
That's great to hear!:D

Chris.C

Top Contributor
AMA sales contribute less in terms of revenue for NF though - 8% revenue for AMA, versus 100% for expired...
I know...

If I was a betting man I'd be guessing that the AMA/catalogue for the first time grossed more for NetFleet than expired domain
;)

From what I can determine the average Snapper result is around $70 while the average AMA result is around $240.

And most importantly both yield the $49 buyer premium...

;)

My point was simply that if the trend continues, ie expiry auction quality/volumes decline while the AMA grows then over time the AMA will make up an increasing proportion of NetFleet's revenue.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member