What's new

Expired Domain Info (domain8)

johno69

Top Contributor
I've beenw atching the Domain8 list and wonder how people know if they caught stuff or not...

I'm not all that worried about knowing details, but si there a way to check previous dropped domain results etc?

I have placed a bid on one that I didn't win. But not sure if I didn't win it due to being outbid or they didn't catch it.

Anyone shed some light ?

Thanks.

Wade

Whois will show the registrar name, so if it says Domain8 you know you were outbid, of course the winning bidder could move it to another registrar so you would have to be doing whois on the same day. Although it appears the majoirty of winners keep the domains with Domain8.

Also on the Domain8 auction page the status updates from DROP ZONE to CAUGHT or NOT CAUGHT after the names are released from the registry, the updates only show for a few hours until the list is updated with new names.

Also I am fairly sure that after the auction but before the domains are released the colour coding is still active, so if its green you know you won.

soj

Founder
Yeh Domain8 really need an archives list of all previous auctions, whether domains were caught or not. And George, im still waiting on those previous sales lists for the 2009 Domain Sales List :p

Wade

Hi Soj, I hope if you are listing D8 prices it will be in a seperate list as the prices usually paid on D8 and DW are below traditional sales prices, and imo would skew the perceived value of .au domains if they were all lumped together.

On the D8 home page they have a short list of their top sales, and it still shows some for below $1k. More often than not the winning bid is under $10, I dont know if such a list would be of any value, and would only make it harder to convince others of the value of domains.

johno69

Top Contributor
Whois will show the registrar name, so if it says Domain8 you know you were outbid,

I see, didn't think of that. Thanks.

Also on the Domain8 auction page the status updates from DROP ZONE to CAUGHT or NOT CAUGHT after the names are released from the registry, the updates only show for a few hours until the list is updated with new names.

The domain in question was gone by the time I got back to check.

Thanks for tips though. I think an archive would be nice there too.

johno69

Top Contributor
looks like they missed the one I was bidding on :(

Domain Status inactive
Registrar Domain Central

Status inactive seems right?

Wade

Inactive just means that a name server has not been set for the domain yet.

Domain Central means that Domain Watch caught it.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Hi Soj, I hope if you are listing D8 prices it will be in a seperate list as the prices usually paid on D8 and DW are below traditional sales prices, and imo would skew the perceived value of .au domains if they were all lumped together.

On the D8 home page they have a short list of their top sales, and it still shows some for below $1k. More often than not the winning bid is under $10, I dont know if such a list would be of any value, and would only make it harder to convince others of the value of domains.

Good points.

Ultimately I think the question is if the site is pro-domainer or pro-enduser or pro-market?

DOMAIN8

DOMAIN8 Auction History and Email Notifications

Hi Guys,

I am actually in favour of showing the past results, but Wade brings up a valid point. And there lies the problem... it is hard to meet everyone's expectations.

For example, I now send a Featured Domain list everyday to our registered customers. The list is compiled using search and advertising metrics and includes some very useful data - the Google AdWords KeywordTool data based on Australian exact match searches for the domain phrase. Some people love this list... whereas others encourage me to stop because it erodes the competitive advantage they have when valuing domains.

The idea we have been playing with is listing the historical sales, but only for registered members. Thoughts?

Now, regarding the original post by johno69
I've beenw atching the Domain8 list and wonder how people know if they caught stuff or not...

I'm not all that worried about knowing details, but si there a way to check previous dropped domain results etc?

I have placed a bid on one that I didn't win. But not sure if I didn't win it due to being outbid or they didn't catch it.

Anyone shed some light ?

Thanks.

At the moment we don't send a "caught/lost" email transcript. This is on my "To-Do wish list" though. Currently, at the end of every auction your user interface will show you whether you won or lost an auction. After the drops complete, the screen updates each domain row with CAUGHT or NOT CAUGHT. At the end of every business day we issue the invoices to you which effectively itemizes the results. Problem that you highlight though, is that if we don't catch your domain you don't get any notifications.

So, in the near furture we will be improving our customer communications and introducing email updates, as well as many new, useful, and exciting services planned.

Best Regards,
George Pongas | CEO
DOMAIN8

Wade

Hey George, if the data is for members only I think its ok. I just dont think there is any value in publishing a complte list publically, only the big sales, like you do now with the list on your home page.

I think your featured list strikes a good balance, it draws attention to the most obvious ones and a few that may have gone unnoticed, but still leaves the majority of the list available for everyone to do independent research.

johno69

Top Contributor
thanks. I was just wondering what happened to the one I missed. By the time I got home (near a pc) it was not on the list at all anymore.

So all seems fine.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member