What's new

Every dog has its day!

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Thinking of letting a domain drop because you think it is a “dog”? Perhaps you should read this article by Neddy first.

He gives some insight on a recent sale of names he was going to let expire.

Please feel free to comment, or send Neddy a PM if you want further information.

------------------------------------------------------------

Every dog has its day!

I reminded myself of a couple of old adages yesterday.

1. Never assume

2. Every dog has its day

Now this is in relation to a couple of domain names that I was going to let drop.

Unfortunately I can’t share the names here (for obvious reasons), but needless to say I initially thought they were dogs. I think that about a lot of the domains
I registered over two years ago (as I’m sure lots of us do if we are honest with ourselves!).

They were purchased on the drops a couple of years ago, and with reg fee they cost me under $80 combined. So not a big investment at all.

These domains were three words each – singular and plural – and related to hosting.

I asked a couple of domainer mates what they thought, and they concurred that it was probably best to let them drop. Now I don’t criticize them for that at all –
as that was my opinion as well. If I’d put them up for appraisal, I’m sure that I'd have got some savage responses from others too! (Not thinking of anyone in particular :) ).

They had pitiful search volumes, but very high CPC. And there were quite a few businesses advertising similar products.

So these names nagged at me. And I was feeling guilty about how many names I had let drop recently.

And whilst I wouldn’t normally bother selecting these names as worthy of approaching endusers, I thought I’d send out just a few emails to those advertising the service.

It took me only 10 - 15 minutes to get a few prospects; personalize my email template and send them out.

I was gobsmacked at the response!

The very first party I sent the email to responded within 10 minutes, and a deal was done on the pair. Mid to high $XXX.

So back to “the old adages” ……………

Never assume that someone else may not be interested in a domain you have. Every dog has its day – you just have to give it the best chance to shine.

Conclusion:

So next time you are thinking of letting a domain drop (or flogging it off to another domainer for next to nothing), just try the enduser route instead. You could be pleasantly surprised.
And if you don’t succeed on one, you may succeed on others.

You’ll never know unless you give it a go.

Author: Ned O’Meara 28th April 2012

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Definately a name I would've dropped... but one of those ones you know would get a bid or two.

I thought these names were a bit "clumsy", but that endusers would probably pick them up for spare change... so great result!

Now we just need you to write "Selling to Endusers - Part 2" :)

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Very interesting, I've got a couple of domains which I've had for a few months and thought they were a waste of reg fee. Maybe not! :D

findtim

Top Contributor
i knock "cold doors" EVERY day, "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

thats why these dropping domains were registered in the first place... someone thought it was a good idea at some moment in time !

"never assume" is probably the biggest hint everyone should pay attention to.

what do you have to loose?

i do not recommend NOR dislike this video but have just placed the link so you can get a start to investigate this yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3k8FzG60fY

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Great read thanks Ned and FPR.

Has anyone following this produced a result?

@ Ned. Your 'end user'; how did you target/find a 'end user' for your domain? Was your domain an obvious one so 'end users' were many? Or was it a domain with no obvious end user to market it to, and required you to do a little creative marketing to make it attractive?

Thanks again. :)

TuffNut

I agree with Ned. I think that if you are going to let a name drop, at least exhaust some effort in promoting the possible sale of the name. Ned is a great testament to this. He puts great effort into a lot of things he does.

Cheers

Ivan J

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads